Nobles hospital

Nomadic Raptor

2 minutes ago, woolley said:
3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry Wooley, but I don't believe that.

The consultant involved draws a fucking big arrow on your leg prior to surgery.

Yep. On the wrong one. That was when he pointed it out.

Hm

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm not saying it's that big a deal or only happens here. Remember the case across where the patient had the wrong kidney removed leaving him with the diseased one? He died. Shit happens.

I'm sure it a great story to tell the rellies or mates to show what a hero one is or how close to death one became. Other than that, Bollocks.

23 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm not saying it's that big a deal or only happens here. Remember the case across where the patient had the wrong kidney removed leaving him with the diseased one? He died. Shit happens.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I'm sure it a great story to tell the rellies or mates to show what a hero one is or how close to death one became. Other than that, Bollocks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1398408/Surgeons-who-removed-the-wrong-kidney-are-cleared.html

I thought you were saying such mistakes never happen.

The hip chap was marked down to have the wrong hip done. He has no idea why. It didn't happen that way. He pointed out the error. They might have sussed it anyway if he had not drawn attention to it. It did shake him somewhat! They rewrote the procedure and he had a perfectly good operation and outcome on the correct hip. That's it. He isn't lying about it and I haven't made it up.

Doctor: I've got some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?

Patient: OK - give me the bad news.

Doctor: We amputated the wrong leg.

Patient: Jesus H! That's terrible. How did that happen? So what's the good news?

Doctor: Your bad leg is getting better...!

29 minutes ago, woolley said:

The hip chap was marked down to have the wrong hip done. He has no idea why. It didn't happen that way. He pointed out the error. They might have sussed it anyway if he had not drawn attention to it. It did shake him somewhat! They rewrote the procedure and he had a perfectly good operation and outcome on the correct hip. That's it. He isn't lying about it and I haven't made it up.

I'm well aware that mistakes happen, but everyone has a story to tell. I don't doubt your integrity at all, just saying that sometimes a little embellishment helps the sympathy vote.;)

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

Doctor: I've got some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?

Patient: OK - give me the bad news.

Doctor: We amputated the wrong leg.

Patient: Jesus H! That's terrible. How did that happen? So what's the good news?

Doctor: Your bad leg is getting better...!

And the really good news is the chap in the next bed likes your slippers and is prepared to buy them :)?

8 hours ago, woolley said:

These days there are about a dozen checks done to ensure wrong side surgery doesn’t happen. Even so, this so-called ‘never event’ does occasionally. I usually start seeing a patient pre-op by asking what operation they’re having. If they say the same as what I’m expecting from the list, the notes and the X-RAY then I mark the leg and we’re away. Sometimes there are left/right typos on the list and further checks are then done. 

I came close to a wrong side op years ago. The staff started prepping the wrong leg prior to knee arthroscopy (not here btw). If I hadn’t seen them doing it and had been presented with a leg rather than a patient I’d no doubt have just gone ahead. Fortunately I noticed. Since then WHO checklists have come in, and there are far fewer slips. 

Archived