Man Kicks Seagull

La Colombe

22 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

Is being an asshole now a crime in the IOM? 

No but I believe the following are:

1. Cruelly to animals

2. Threatening behaviour

3. Public nuisance

4. Disturbing the peace

The are probably more but take your pick from the 4 available above.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Chinahand said:

The issue is cruelty, not a right to life. 

Sure they're a nuisance. Especially in open air eateries like The Sound. But in actuality the Herring Gull population has crashed. Down by some 50% in the last 40 years.

Various reasons on offer like loss of the UK fishing fleet, less landfill and so forth.

They are amazingly adaptable though. Earlier in the year I watched one "paddling" the grass in Port Erin. The worms thought it was raining and came up to be snaffled. Now it sure as hell didn't learn that trick out at sea!

That paddling behaviour is very common, Google it.  Apparently, it is learnt behaviour passed down from parent to offspring.  Survival is a wonderful mother of invention!

Seagulls are just doing what they can to survive, you cannot ascribe bad intent worthy of being ill-treated. Bad intent is a peculiarly human attribute.

As others have pointed out, the issue concerning the Seagull was the deliberate baiting and then seeking to harm it simply for it displaying the natural reaction of taking the attractive item proffered. Putting him in the cells was the incorrect response. What should have happened, given his ethnicity,  is that a pint of Guinness be placed on a table in front of him and then his hand be severed by a Samurai sword when he reached out to drink it.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

i'm yet to meet a seagull with a better moral code than myself or better manners

Morals and manners are for humans not animals.  That is why mistreating them because they don't observe our moral code is a bit daft really.  Anthropomorphic at its most illogical. 

Archived