How is it that a rider is having to rely on crowd funding

hissingsid

On 30th May Steve was taking part in a qualifying session for the Isle of Man TT races. After a separate red flag incident Steve and the group of riders he was stopped with got instruction to return back to the paddock, as he returned at a reduced speed on the circuit he was hit head on by a course car at high speed. There is an ongoing investigation to how this incident occurred (which we are awaiting the answers) however this doesn’t change the outcome for Steve.

Steve was initially taken to Nobles Hospital by air-med where he was stablised and then flown to Aintree Hospital, Liverpool where he currently remains in their critical care ward.

He suffered a fracture to his larynx and pelvis, has 5cm of his femur missing, broken ankle and heel, damage to his back and a brain injury, the extent of which remains unclear.

He had surgery on 31st for his pelvis which went well and he is due to have surgery on his leg and foot next week however only time and rest can heal the bruising.

No one can predict what the future holds for Steve, we just have to give it time but I for one want to be able to give him everything I can that he needs to aid his recovery or make him more comfortable.

In addition to fundraising through this page we will also be auctioning off some items and will share the details as they are available.

Thank you all so much for your messages of support. I haven’t managed to reply to them all but please know I‘m working my way through them and reading them to Steve when he’s awake. It means a great deal to all of us to know that so many people care so deeply about Steve’s progress and recovery.

Caroline Mercer

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/stevemercerofficial

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been helpful to indicate what the donations would go to, but it's not that difficult to infer. Insurance takes time to pay out. Family will have to stay away from home, or travel to visit him, incurring costs. Depending on Mercer's occupation there may be no income coming in.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I don't think there's any dispute that he was injured by a course car. That's not putting the blame on the driver.

Try reading things a few times before you kick off.

and the course car was injured by the bike, i guess many other riders have been injured by the hedges and walls?? 

on a totally unrelated matter, i wonder if i was going the wrong way down a one way street and crashed whether my insurance would be rushing to pay me out, if at all..........

Perhaps a stupid question, maybe one for Derek Flint?

Will the investigation into this accident be carried out by the IOM Police or ACU Events Ltd?

Who takes the lead in this instance? As others have alluded, there are significant insurance implications attached.

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

It would have been helpful to indicate what the donations would go to, but it's not that difficult to infer. Insurance takes time to pay out. Family will have to stay away from home, or travel to visit him, incurring costs. Depending on Mercer's occupation there may be no income coming in.

support the family.....

My memory from researching it in the past is that the insurance payment is ridiculously low and will in no way pay for the care of injuries the TT regularly produces. 

A young man who was a wage earner with a life supporting his family ahead of him is now in need of a huge amount of support for the rest of his life. The insurance  will not cover even a small percentage of this and so he will have to rely on his family, friends, charity and the state. 

The issue of the level of insurance the TT allows riders to race with is for me a fundamental moral failure  in the organisation of the TT and a terrible indictment of those who permit these unique young men to ride. 

23 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

My memory from researching it in the past is that the insurance payment is ridiculously low and will in no way pay for the care of injuries the TT regularly produces. 

A young man who was a wage earner with a life supporting his family ahead of him is now in need of a huge amount of support for the rest of his life. The insurance  will not cover even a small percentage of this and so he will have to rely on his family, friends, charity and the state. 

The issue of the level of insurance the TT allows riders to race with is for me a fundamental moral failure  in the organisation of the TT and a terrible indictment of those who permit these unique young men to ride. 

There is the option to have increased benefits with the ACU insurer, at a cost. The insurance only pays out for two years following the accident so it is wise to have made other provisions, which many riders do. There are increased lump sum payouts for the loss of use of limbs etc but no matter what, nothing can give you back what you had before. I imagine that this will be the subject of a different type of claim as the injuries were incurred in a non race situation?  

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Perhaps a stupid question, maybe one for Derek Flint?

Will the investigation into this accident be carried out by the IOM Police or ACU Events Ltd?

Who takes the lead in this instance? As others have alluded, there are significant insurance implications attached.

I imagine it will be the IoM government H&S people who take the lead with the police? The ACU will probably have their own investigation, ACU Events Ltd is a subsiduary but runs under ACU regulations.

5 minutes ago, woody2 said:

i was pointing it out for you thicko.......

Did you know that if you keep reading beyond the 1st phrase, the rest of a paragraph contains more information? Then you don't need to point out to people what they've already said. 

12 hours ago, woody2 said:

Thanks for providing the link as it would be good to donate. I get Declan’s point on it not saying where it’s going but as a Manx resident I’ll probably just contribute out of shame for my taxes paying for this total disasterous cock up to happen. 

10 minutes ago, woody2 said:

just for declan as he needs to know how the money is been spent....

No I don't. I inferred what it would be spent on and told Hissing Sid. Please stop lying. 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, Declan said:

It would have been helpful to indicate what the donations would go to,

1 hour ago, Declan said:

No I don't. I inferred what it would be spent on and told Hissing Sid. Please stop lying. 

:rolleyes:

Archived