How is it that a rider is having to rely on crowd funding

hissingsid

On 6/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, Declan said:

It would have been helpful to indicate what the donations would go to, but it's not that difficult to infer. Insurance takes time to pay out. Family will have to stay away from home, or travel to visit him, incurring costs. Depending on Mercer's occupation there may be no income coming in.

This is what I wrote. You've deliberately left off the rest of the post, where " I inferred what it would be spent on and told Hissing Sid." 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yesterday I read a blog by Mrs Mercer thanking people for donations and saying that they had used some of the money to buy an electric fan for Steve as he was very uncomfortable with the heat and the one of the hospital is broken.  He faces more operations on his leg but is lucid from time to time so things are looking more hopeful than they were last week.   Tough times ahead no doubt for the family.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, dilligaf said:

Before you get too involved, the course car was being driven in the correct direction.

Keep your child like bias out of every post you make.

You don't half post some crap.

He didn't,he posted a valid point.  Only a blinkered dimwit wouldn't realise the course car was authorised by an obvious cretin,but regardless of which direction it was going,there was human error involved by instructing the bikes to travel in the reverse direction at the same time a course car was heading their way.  Perhaps it may be you posting child like bullshit,but either way,who ever authorised this fiasco at that time should be held to account

7 hours ago, display name said:

,but either way,who ever authorised this fiasco at that time should be held to account

don't hold your breath........................  it's the isle of man.  they have probably already been promoted..

8 hours ago, display name said:

He didn't,he posted a valid point.  Only a blinkered dimwit wouldn't realise the course car was authorised by an obvious cretin,but regardless of which direction it was going,there was human error involved by instructing the bikes to travel in the reverse direction at the same time a course car was heading their way.  Perhaps it may be you posting child like bullshit,but either way,who ever authorised this fiasco at that time should be held to account

Perhaps the fault lies with whoever authorised riders to return to the grandstand "the wrong way" when support vehicles were still racing to the scene of an accident. 

11 hours ago, Declan said:

Perhaps the fault lies with whoever authorised riders to return to the grandstand "the wrong way" when support vehicles were still racing to the scene of an accident. 

Assuming that the "support vehicle "had been instructed to "race to the scene", I may be wrong but I understood that the incident had been "dealt with" , if so why  "race to the scene" and what was the purpose of going there?  

There did , IMO,  seem to be a number of superfluous vehicles on the course this year .

Just saying.

Other that that Dec I would agree that whoever authorised either the bikes or the car is IMO culpable , assuming no one was on "a frolic of their own" and acted without the permission of Race Control.

9 hours ago, paswt said:

Assuming that the "support vehicle "had been instructed to "race to the scene", I may be wrong but I understood that the incident had been "dealt with" , if so why  "race to the scene" and what was the purpose of going there?  

There did , IMO,  seem to be a number of superfluous vehicles on the course this year .

All fatalities and potential fatalities have to be investigated professionally. I'd guess the car in the collision might have been involved in that process.

The other cars you referred to are likely the course cars which only set off after races are over but when roads are closed.

It was an almighty fook up which is being investigated properly AFAIAC.

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not quite true...cops turn up at race incidents on the mountain before roads open.

i think the race to part refers to the speed at which the car was travelling,  they would have got there eventually doing 50mph  instead of never as was the case doing whatever speed they were doing.  and as they never got there i would assume things were dealt with without their presence anyway so were they really needed to be going in the first place?

8 minutes ago, WTF said:

i think the race to part refers to the speed at which the car was travelling,  they would have got there eventually doing 50mph  instead of never as was the case doing whatever speed they were doing.  and as they never got there i would assume things were dealt with without their presence anyway so were they really needed to be going in the first place?

They investigate like they do for all fatals/nr fatals. Measure, photo, inspection...the works. For fatals, there is always a formal inquest to which they give evidence. This latter case involving the car...an inquiry, and I suspect they attended that too.

ETA: There are no speed limits AFAIAA on closed roads...just flags in racing.

I think it was me that introduced the “race to” phrase, I really just meant “drive to”.

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

To me travelling at 50 mph is racing to. 

Archived