How is it that a rider is having to rely on crowd funding

hissingsid

14 hours ago, La Colombe said:

I disagree, I think the organisers should insist on an adequate level of personal life cover. It would be easy to do so, even if it did thin the field out a bit. There's something very unsavoury about organising such incredibly dangerous events whilst showing no concern for anything other than covering the clean up costs of accidents. 

But  what’s “adequate” - that’s completely subjective and varies from person to person. A single man renting a flat with no dependent children is in a different position to a married man with 6 kids, whose elderly parents are also dependent on him, and he has a £500,000 mortgage. Who determines the “adequate” cover for each competitor and satisfies themselves as to the reliability of the company offering the cover? And if an individual chooses to take the risk of death or injury without personal cover, that’s their choice (albeit potentially disastrous). They may choose to spend the premiums “saved” upgrading their machine - why should the organizers restrict personal freedom of choice?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Then that selfish git has no business in road racing in a competition with a higher than normal fatality rate.

Life has a normal fatality rate of 100%.

Don't be selfish and stay at home either, most accidents happen at home.

37 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Then that selfish git has no business in road racing in a competition with a higher than normal fatality rate.

Much as I'm a supporter of road racing, I have to agree here. It's no good trying to say that the kids understood the risks, I think it's childishly irresponsible to expose their future to such a thing!

I just hope the rider who was injured, through no fault of his own, which in my eyes is really more concerning than other accidents, gets proper compensation.   I assume the course cars and occupants are covered by comprehensive and insurance that covers this sort of accident as they travel at speed throughout the festival.    This was an avoidable accident and although sympathy goes to all concerned there does have to be a very thorough ,complete, transparent , and public investigation.  The carpet really has little room left underneath and the head needs to be taken off the broom, not only in this matter.

4 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

But the world contains more than its fair share of selfish gits...

31 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I just hope the rider who was injured, through no fault of his own, which in my eyes is really more concerning than other accidents, gets proper compensation.   I assume the course cars and occupants are covered by comprehensive and insurance that covers this sort of accident as they travel at speed throughout the festival.    This was an avoidable accident and although sympathy goes to all concerned there does have to be a very thorough ,complete, transparent , and public investigation.  The carpet really has little room left underneath and the head needs to be taken off the broom, not only in this matter.

I'm sure it was avoidable but we don't really know whether the rider who was injured played a part in his own fate yet? We really should wait for the inquiry and its findings.

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Other than taking part in an extremely hazardous race, which has been know to maim, injure and kill several hundred people in its time...by his own free will.

he wasn't racing at the time.......

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

No he was not racing at the time he was hit at speed by a course car, that is the point if he had been racing and crashed it would have been very unfortunate but he was not he should have been safe, but he was not.

it's still very unfortunate

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

No he was not racing at the time he was hit at speed by a course car, that is the point if he had been racing and crashed it would have been very unfortunate but he was not he should have been safe, but he was not.

A bit like the crowds of spectators that aren't racing but know the risks as well?

Archived