Tram & Bus Incidents

manxy

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I thought had all been covered before during the Manx Forums post mortem on the Laxey bridge collapse

It was said that IOM Gov. don't have insurance and "self insure" as in pay up when needed. I know I am right on this too.

That's certainly how it used to be, not sure about now as you need to have a certain amount of collateral behind you.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You don’t half have odd ideas.

The house owner will have insurance to cover the damage, or at least they should have. Their insurers will sort out the  material damage claim. Bus Vannin will have insurance. The material damage claim will be sorted between the two insurers.

Claims not covered by the householders insurance, shock, under insurance etc, will be dealt with by BV’s insurers. It’ll only go to court if there’s a real dispute as to liability or amount.

That then comes to the car driver damaging street furniture, paid  for out of our taxes, why shouldn’t they be expected to pay? They should have had third party insurance, if driving legally, the procedure of the criminal court fixing the value is a short cut.

It’s not a genuine accident. He drove without due care, his driving fell below accepted standards, he was negligent. The lamppost didn’t jump out at him, did it? 

In this case he didn’t have insurance. If he had the insurance would have paid. As it is he’s paying for his error damaging tax payer property himself.

Exactly the same would apply to private property.

Whats wrong with any of that. It’s called taking responsibility for your own actions.

Come on JW, you should know factual stuff isn't allowed on here 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I thought all this had been covered before during the Manx Forums post mortem on the Laxey bridge collapse

It was said that IOM Gov. don't have insurance and "self insure" as in pay up when needed. I know I am right on this too.

It depends on what IoMG is “insuring”. There have been different schemes over the years. So there are differences between building cover for their own buildings, public liability for bits falling off their buildings, workplace accidents, damage caused by natural features, accidents caused by the railways, or Road traffic cover. My understanding is that some are self insured, others self insured up to a high figure, but with a level of disaster cover for extreme events, and cover with lower excesses. Most seem to be outsourced for claims handling.

.............a coach ran backwards and nearly over the cliff at port Jack and a ladder went through the windows of a bus in Castletown. Dustbin lorry through the hedge at Ballacrain and another through a house in Ramsey..............over the years I know but it's not that unusual for public service vehicles to have incidents considering the mileage they do.......

56 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.............a coach ran backwards and nearly over the cliff at port Jack and a ladder went through the windows of a bus in Castletown. Dustbin lorry through the hedge at Ballacrain and another through a house in Ramsey..............over the years I know but it's not that unusual for public service vehicles to have incidents considering the mileage they do.......

driver error or mechanical?

air brakes do the opposite to car brakes.....  

............the handbrakes/parking brake are often spring brakes which the air holds off until either the air is exhausted by using the handbrake, or, the air system fails. The service brake uses air pressure controlled by the foot pedal............their may also be an electrical retarder and a 'Jake' brake or exhaust brake................so Woody is correct as far as the parking brake goes but not correct as far as the service brake goes.............

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

............the handbrakes/parking brake are often spring brakes which the air holds off until either the air is exhausted by using the handbrake, or, the air system fails. The service brake uses air pressure controlled by the foot pedal............their may also be an electrical retarder and a 'Jake' brake or exhaust brake................so Woody is correct as far as the parking brake goes but not correct as far as the service brake goes.............

Wow, maybe Woody2 is a bus driver? It fits as he seems to know absolutely everything and yet also very little at all. 

18 hours ago, John Wright said:

It depends on what IoMG is “insuring”. There have been different schemes over the years. So there are differences between building cover for their own buildings, public liability for bits falling off their buildings, workplace accidents, damage caused by natural features, accidents caused by the railways, or Road traffic cover. My understanding is that some are self insured, others self insured up to a high figure, but with a level of disaster cover for extreme events, and cover with lower excesses. Most seem to be outsourced for claims handling.

governments insurance will be the same as its pension pot,  FUCK ALL, just take out of income and reserves.

........................I totally agree, but, I was talking only about air brakes........just as an aside, all cars nowadays have dual master cylinders so if fluid is lost you don't lose all braking just that efficiency is impaired............it is most unlikely to result in total brake loss, plus, there is an emergency brake, hand or foot, to slow one down.................