Less whining, more wining! (a thread about wine)

Howard

I've been sampling a bottle of Bulgarian wine tonight. Paging John Wright. I have to say, it's quite delicious and will most likely purchase it again. The vineyard is based in the Thracian Lowlands of Bulgaria. I believe they are also famous for growing peaches there. Do they do peach wines?

If anybody else has recommendations for wines, please post.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, alright... My favourite (at the moment. I'm fickle) is this one. Usually retailing at twelve or thirteen quid. Personally, I appreciate it around 70f or 22c (the meat thermometer comes in handy). Never let it 'breathe,' open and pour after a minute or so. I'll even go to the trouble of standing the bottle in warm water first, along with the upturned glass I'm drinking it from.

Probably sounds a bit fussy, finicky even, but everyone's pallette is different, of course... 

baron-philippe-de-rothschild-cadet-claret-bordeaux-french-red-wine-75cl_temp.jpg

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Alright, alright... My favourite (at the moment. I'm fickle) is this one. Usually retailing at twelve or thirteen quid. Personally, I appreciate it around 70f or 22c (the meat thermometer comes in handy). Never let it 'breathe,' open and pour after a minute or so. I'll even go to the trouble of standing the bottle in warm water first, along with the upturned glass I'm drinking it from.

Probably sounds a bit fussy, finicky even, but everyone's pallette is different, of course... 

baron-philippe-de-rothschild-cadet-claret-bordeaux-french-red-wine-75cl_temp.jpg

Can I recommend Naked Wines. You see their little slips advertising Sixty quid off a case falling out of Sunday magazine supplements etc.

I was initially sceptical as you are but you are invited to become an “angel “ and invest twenty pounds a month (which you can increase) which entitles you to buy. Wines at a discount (eg ten pounds not fourteen a bottle) . Whether this is a genuine discount I don,t know but the wine is very good. Shipping over  100 quid worth is free including the Island and the service is great. I wasn’t in when one case was due for delivery .so had to collect it from the post office for which NW credited my account with a tender .

So there you go

Thanks for that. Though I probably don't quaff enough (a bottle a week, very occasionally two) to warrant joining up.

For a white wine, Hardy's Stamp, cold as you can get it. Tremendous with fish, notably Hake, great in a spritzer...

hardy-s-stamp-of-australia-chardonnay-semillon-south-eastern-australia-10126171.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My place in Bulgaria is very near Melnik, south west Bulgaria. Really good reds. £3, 5 or 7 a bottle. There are great wines on the Black Sea Coast, on the Danube, around Ruse, and in the Thracian region, especially Starosel.

In Spain, I’m in the Penedes wine region. And next to Priorat and Conca de Barbers. Also Cava country. Penedes reds are better than Rioja, and beat most burgundies. Good Cava is better than most champagne.

Every village or town has a wine cooperative cellar. You can pick up excellent reds, whites or fizz grown less than a mile away, often organically. Never more than £10, and that’s real quality. £4 will get good generic local stuff.

Couple places nearby sell al meyor, wholesale. You take empty bottles, or a gallon container, down, and they fill, red, white, cava, or, the latest, artisan vermut. £2 a bottle for cava to use in spritzers.

Archived