Charity Laws change considered

hissingsid

This really needs sorting. If you are registered as a charitable organisation you are exempt from paying VAT. which is good, unfortunately there are organisations who abuse this by never giving a penny piece to charity.      If you are registered as a charity, and there are many organisations that are, loads in fact, it should be mandatory that you give money to a good cause.    I know of several societies that give sweet FA but enjoy the status and of course the VAT exemption.

You are confusing two things.

Charitable status. If you are just collecting funds and not using it for a charitable purpose then shouldn’t qualify for charitable status. That’s the Charity Commission in UK. In the Isle of Man it’s the General Registry and the Attorney General.

VAT status of a charity, which is complex, and there isn’t a wholesale exemption, to either registration, charging, or reclaiming.

The bigger debate is whether churches and religious charities and educational charities should be considered charitable at all, and what limits should be placed on the amount allowed to be spent on salaries and administration expenses as opposed to money spent on the services and relief delivered by the charity.

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Not always Gladys.

If they are not fulfilling a charitable objective then they should be de-registered.  Some charities collect funds to give to other 'doing' charities, some charities do the good works themselves

Maybe the IOM could lead the way in separation of Church and charity and the taxing of these - obviously those that generate an income should contribute to the national purse if they expect the use of public services and should declare to the govt. the figures. Hypothetically if the Onchan Gubay Catholic Church (not many positives in that phrase) was on fire should we let it burn as they pay no tax to fund the fire services.....

11 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Maybe the IOM could lead the way in separation of Church and charity and the taxing of these - obviously those that generate an income should contribute to the national purse if they expect the use of public services and should declare to the govt. the figures. Hypothetically if the Onchan Gubay Catholic Church (not many positives in that phrase) was on fire should we let it burn as they pay no tax to fund the fire services.....

Yes because of its founder 

7 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

all churches should be burned down,  greatest con before the BCCI

15 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Not just churches and religious societies there are other societies that have charitable status and enjoy the VAT exemption but do not give a penny to good causes.

Sid, I'm a volunteer at a charity and I can 100% assure you that there is no VAT exemption. If there is, can you steer me to the relevant legislation please.

14 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Sid, I'm a volunteer at a charity and I can 100% assure you that there is no VAT exemption. If there is, can you steer me to the relevant legislation please.

It depends what you are buying, selling, or what service you are providing. It’s a very complex bit of VAT & charity law. It’s not blanket.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-vat-affects-charities-notice-7011

Archived