Racist Cartoon?

La Colombe

Two issues that I have are;

1. The portrayal of Naomi Osaka as being white and blonde;

2. The image of Serena Williams which appears to draw heavily on black-face cartoons rather than just being a caricature;  

To my mind point 1 makes point 2 worse.

That said, a little more care in how the image is presented and it would be a 'fair' cartoon.

The National Association of Black Journalists said the cartoon was “repugnant” on many levels.

Why aren't there any white people in that association?

To me, that association is racist and one wonders what reaction or comments they would say if it was the other way round and there was an organisation called National Association of White Journalists?

While we're on about racism, why is it ok for black people to call other black people niggers, while white people aren't? IMO, there should be one rule only about that and its either ok to say it regardless of the colour of a persons skin or it should be banned.

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Two issues that I have are;

1. The portrayal of Naomi Osaka as being white and blonde;

2. The image of Serena Williams which appears to draw heavily on black-face cartoons rather than just being a caricature;  

To my mind point 1 makes point 2 worse.

That said, a little more care in how the image is presented and it would be a 'fair' cartoon.

I agree, it reckless, thoughtless racism rather than deliberate conscious racism. 

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Before reading that I wasn’t sure, as I think there’s a bit of ‘looking to be offended’ going on here. But if Rog says it’s not racist it almost certainly is. 

If you're black it's racist, if female then sexist, otherwise OK.

sport-american-tennis_player-champion-ch

(CNN)An Australian newspaper has doubled down on a cartoon of multiple Grand Slam tennis champion Serena Williams widely denounced as racist both at home and in the US.

In a statement Tuesday, Herald Sun editor Damon Johnston said the cartoon "had nothing to do with gender or race."
"A champion tennis player had a mega tantrum on the world stage, and (the) cartoon depicted that," he said, referring to a piece published by cartoonist Mark Knight Monday after the US Open final in which Williams had a dispute with the umpire over his allegedly sexist treatment of her.

Archived