Racist Cartoon?

La Colombe

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Before reading that I wasn’t sure, as I think there’s a bit of ‘looking to be offended’ going on here. But if Rog says it’s not racist it almost certainly is. 

Ask me.

I think it's quite funny. Not racist or sexist in my eyes.

It's criticising her for behaving like a spoilt child when she can't have her own way. Nothing to do with her sex or colour.

She spat the dummy (which is also shown in the cartoon) and the cartoonist is taking the piss out of it, as he quite rightly states.

6 hours ago, manxy said:

The National Association of Black Journalists said the cartoon was “repugnant” on many levels.

Why aren't there any white people in that association?

Because they're all in The National Association of White Journalists of course.

Oh, wait....

Naomi Osaka is drawn correctly. Her colour in the cartoon is far closer to Serena than the (pinkish) umpire.

In real life, Naomi has a blonde ponytail worn under a cap.

Everything about Serena is also correct (for a caricature): the size, the hair, the heavyset face, the stupid skirt. The tantrum.

9 hours ago, thebees said:

I couldn't care less :) She's a tit.

And there’s the nub of it...skin colour and gender are completely incidental...a seasoned, professional (highly successful) athlete was correctly censured and penalized for breaches of the rules. Her reaction was then grotesquely unprofessional, deeply disrespectful to her opponent and absolutely unacceptable. End of. Man, woman, black, white, simply don’t matter. And by the way, am I the only one who noticed that, prior to this juvenile display, she was being soundly beaten all around the court by Osaka?

On 9/11/2018 at 4:45 PM, manxman1980 said:

@b4mbi I largely agree with you, however, I stand by what i said earlier.  The issue in my mind is the "style" used to depict Serena (and that her opponent is portrayed as a while blonde which is also strange). 

No doubt had the cartoonist used an Asian looking girl in the cartoon then another group of people waiting in the wings would also now be offended...

Archived