The mayhem is to commence anytime now

hissingsid

18 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

You're wrong there fella the traffic lights and all crossings don't make one iota of difference as there's nowhere for the cars to go anyway, the problem lies with drivers wanting a gap of 2m either side of their vehicles before they pass between properly parked vehicles and the trams because they're too scared of scratching their vehicles as they have no idea how to gauge the width of their vehicles....which collectively forms a backlog of vehicles behind them.

P.S. I've said this already on another thread relating to the debacle that is Douglas Prom at peak/TT times....next TT have a walk along the length of the Prom and you'll see I'm 100% correct.

I recall when they had temporary lights at that elongated roundabout at the Sefton....did fuck all so they removed them. Same thing at Summerland.

You put together peak evening traffic, TT, the boat coming in and offloading lots of vehicles, the TT course being closed for racing and drivers that need a 2m hap either side and hey presto you have the perfect storm which that stretch of our roads can't possibly handle.  The only way to alleviate this is to build another road, a bypass if you will.

What we really to do need is to employ a consultant to look at it, and advise.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2018 at 2:40 PM, ellanvannin2010 said:

Perhaps if the police could do something with the  pelican crossings on Loch Promenade, Peveril Square and the light sequence at Broadway when the TT is on there would not be so much gridlock. Those crossings constantly stopping traffic for one or two people at a time to cross does not help at all. The one at Peveril Square takes so long to change back the pedestrians using it must have had time to order and drink a Costa in the sea terminal before it goes back to green.

Most of the hold ups with the horse trams I see is down to the poor driving by people who evidently have no idea how wide their vehicle is, I don't think there is anywhere on the prom a Micra for instance cannot pass a horse tram

Those used to be turned off too. And motorcyclists deployed to try and find the pinch points. But the whole thing is a strategic mess. Things like having a one way exit at Victoria Road onto Governors would help filter traffic out of town, but nobody can be arsed to actually sit down and make it happen. 

54 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Those used to be turned off too. And motorcyclists deployed to try and find the pinch points. But the whole thing is a strategic mess. Things like having a one way exit at Victoria Road onto Governors would help filter traffic out of town, but nobody can be arsed to actually sit down and make it happen. 

That is somewhere that the police and the DOI have ignored for far too long. It needs a raised  roundabout there to stop the hundreds of idiots who constantly drive straight through from Onchan towards the grandstand without using the junction as a mini roundabout.

Not easy to turn right from Vic. Rd towards Onchan most of the time without just taking a chance and booting it.

A bobby hit one of my neighbours while he was driving straight on from Onchan and hit the side of my neighbours car. Guess who's fault it was made out to be. Yeah, good guess.:( 

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A bobby hit one of my neighbours while he was driving straight on from Onchan and hit the side of my neighbours car. Guess who's fault it was made out to be. Yeah, good guess.:( 

I bet your neighbour is just another lovable rogue who had it coming Big Norm.

Glug glug, he’s back from the Co-op. 

1B3CBA0F-FDED-435F-9599-C0820D017CF5.png

I hope some civil engineers were down the prom today.

In a not especially high tide, on a not especially windy day the sea was way above the sea walls, overspilling into the sunken gardens.  With rising sea levels, within 20 years big storms will be ripping up most of the promenade unless major work is done.

The rebuilding of the road is looking even more like a waste of money! 

14 minutes ago, NoTail said:

In a not especially high tide, on a not especially windy day the sea was way above the sea walls, overspilling into the sunken gardens.  With rising sea levels, within 20 years big storms will be ripping up most of the promenade unless major work is done.

They have a plan in place... They'll paint the railings again

7 hours ago, NoTail said:

TBF, the sea level was well below the prom level. I was there.

The waves however came over the top as they have always done when the wind blows from that direction, they always have and always will.

The roadway is knackered and should be replaced ASAP and that is beyond argument. It is how they do it that matters

9 hours ago, NoTail said:

To be fair the effect of the high tide was forecast and a warning issued (though not very far in advance).  But you're right that rising sea levels and more frequent, violent weather should be catered for in any infrastructure work to give it a reasonable lifespan.  

However for the DoI that's the last thing they want.  Their purpose is to keep themselves and their favoured contractors in lucrative employment, so a project like Richmond Hill which is never right and requires constant reorganisation is their ideal.  Especially if it never needed doing in the first place.

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

However for the DoI that's the last thing they want.  Their purpose is to keep themselves and their favoured contractors in lucrative employment, so a project like Richmond Hill which is never right and requires constant reorganisation is their ideal.  Especially if it never needed doing in the first place.

This reminds me of a documentary on an Indian hill community where a man who was responsible for maintaining a winding road over the hill was asked why he didn't make a better job of the surface and in preventing landslides. He said he would be out of a job!

Archived