The mayhem is to commence anytime now

hissingsid

14 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I blame the lack of a proper road safety strategy Derek. Luckily Pam sorted one out after the previous logjam retired.:D

I have every faith she did - she’s a big loss to the force and it’s sad she went. I read it is now going through the ‘political’ process. This is the most dangerous bit, as there are those in there that just won’t get it....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Why then, for all the time I can remember, the cops had to plead with the Corpagh to send the horses back to the stables because there was gridlock on the prom at TT, and the trams certainly weren’t helping?

Harmer is in a dream world, he says that bad parking is to blame for cars not being able to pass trams, that means every car on the prom is badly parked? The fact is that vehicles are all much wider now, the parked and passing cars, coupled with the fact that many drivers can't judge the width or the gap that their car has to pass through!

The trams should be a single track affair on the seaward side of the road with passing places, in my opinion anyway!

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Why then, for all the time I can remember, the cops had to plead with the Corpagh to send the horses back to the stables because there was gridlock on the prom at TT, and the trams certainly weren’t helping?

Perhaps if the police could do something with the  pelican crossings on Loch Promenade, Peveril Square and the light sequence at Broadway when the TT is on there would not be so much gridlock. Those crossings constantly stopping traffic for one or two people at a time to cross does not help at all. The one at Peveril Square takes so long to change back the pedestrians using it must have had time to order and drink a Costa in the sea terminal before it goes back to green.

Most of the hold ups with the horse trams I see is down to the poor driving by people who evidently have no idea how wide their vehicle is, I don't think there is anywhere on the prom a Micra for instance cannot pass a horse tram

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Harmer is in a dream world, he says that bad parking is to blame for cars not being able to pass trams, that means every car on the prom is badly parked? The fact is that vehicles are all much wider now, the parked and passing cars, coupled with the fact that many drivers can't judge the width or the gap that their car has to pass through!

The trams should be a single track affair on the seaward side of the road with passing places, in my opinion anyway!

Why can`t we have parking in the middle again ( across the tram lines ) like we used to have in the winter months, that would create a lot more parking.

4 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Why can`t we have parking in the middle again ( across the tram lines ) like we used to have in the winter months, that would create a lot more parking.

You're joking aren't you? There are enough car parks dotted around Douglas. Just enforce their use. Get rid of all promenade parking

5 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Perhaps if the police could do something with the  pelican crossings on Loch Promenade, Peveril Square and the light sequence at Broadway when the TT is on there would not be so much gridlock. Those crossings constantly stopping traffic for one or two people at a time to cross does not help at all. The one at Peveril Square takes so long to change back the pedestrians using it must have had time to order and drink a Costa in the sea terminal before it goes back to green.

Most of the hold ups with the horse trams I see is down to the poor driving by people who evidently have no idea how wide their vehicle is, I don't think there is anywhere on the prom a Micra for instance cannot pass a horse tram

You're wrong there fella the traffic lights and all crossings don't make one iota of difference as there's nowhere for the cars to go anyway, the problem lies with drivers wanting a gap of 2m either side of their vehicles before they pass between properly parked vehicles and the trams because they're too scared of scratching their vehicles as they have no idea how to gauge the width of their vehicles....which collectively forms a backlog of vehicles behind them.

P.S. I've said this already on another thread relating to the debacle that is Douglas Prom at peak/TT times....next TT have a walk along the length of the Prom and you'll see I'm 100% correct.

I recall when they had temporary lights at that elongated roundabout at the Sefton....did fuck all so they removed them. Same thing at Summerland.

You put together peak evening traffic, TT, the boat coming in and offloading lots of vehicles, the TT course being closed for racing and drivers that need a 2m hap either side and hey presto you have the perfect storm which that stretch of our roads can't possibly handle.  The only way to alleviate this is to build another road, a bypass if you will.

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

All parking on the promenade should be banned, make a huge car park on the Villiers site, probably what is going to happen and one at Summerland, job done.

Then park and ride on the horse tram :)

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

Harmer believes any old crap he’s fed. I can’t see the people of Peel voting such a useless member of government back in. He’s a Commissioner who got lucky and that’s about it. Everything else he has serially failed at since getting into government. 

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Harmer believes any old crap he’s fed. I can’t see the people of Peel voting such a useless member of government back in. He’s a Commissioner who got lucky and that’s about it. Everything else he has serially failed at since getting into government. 

Peel didn't really have much choice though only 3 people ran and the "best" two got in.

Archived