Enterprise Development Scheme.

hagar the horrible

I think there’s a minimum salary to qualify, which should avoid the proverbial ‘bottom’.

Although I know many hospitality and retail businesses struggle to recruit for those roles. A business struggling for staff does begin to face its own problems, whatever the level of staff.

As a general rule I agree, the island needs to attract people who are net contributors to the economy.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting opportunity.

Many nations are beginning to recognise the likely impact of automation, AI, algorithms, autonomous vehicles and other technologies on manual jobs or those that are administratively focused.

https://www.pwc.co.uk/services/economics-policy/insights/the-impact-of-automation-on-jobs.html

The Isle of Man is no exception, and this would extend to the civil service. A retraining opportunity.

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

is that way iomg has got bigger because of automation........

they have been going on about automation for as long as i can remember......

You’re right. Automation should improve the volume or quality of output, or deliver real efficiencies. I’ll let you be the judge of whether IOMG has achieved that.

You only need to visit the Gatwick Premier Inn to see automated check-in kiosks and many big brand hotels are using autonomous room service robots. On that basis, attracting receptionists and night service staff is arguably not a sustainable future.

18 hours ago, Max Power said:

Tourism is certainly an area where a public/private partnership should be employed, although the Vision Nine affair has probably soured the appetite for that sort of thing.

Lead responsibility for tourism should be handed over to MNH, which MOPR has hinted may become an independent agency

MNH would co-ordinate with MWT & other worthy IOM bodies with an interest

Tynwald should fund & issue strategic objectives, but otherwise keep it's nose out

16 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

I think the demand for staff is paradoxically because parts of the industry are actually doing well, despite the challenges in both recruiting and retaining staff.

I understand the rationale behind the 20% is that after the first year, the 20% is roughly what the IOMG would have seen through income tax and other sources of tax. Assuming that most staff remain on-Island for a year, then the combination of the tax take and the (assumed) spending of their wages in the local economy - it pays for itself. 

These types of schemes are quite common in a range of countries/regions. There are different flavours; grants, payment in arears, etc - but they amount to the same.

Assuming the Isle of Man is in the business of attracting new workers (and its stated aim is to grow the population), it is analogous to the business concept of customer lifetime value (CLV). Using modelling, they can estimate for deferred outlay 'X' they can make X+Y back after 12/18/24 months, whilst inhibiting risk through payment in arears.

IOMG has no mandate to 'grow the population' & the most recent social attitudes survey showed 50% opposed to the idea

It's a last ditch approach to 'growing the economy' as the Quayle Administration is completely bereft of ideas to cascade wealth throughout the community

1 hour ago, joeyconcrete said:

Some associate growing the population with increased prosperity and economic output.

Whatever you views, the inability to hire skilled staff is a real problem for many companies, which becomes a problem for the Island. 

The inability to hire staff who know what work is can be a problem also!

Some associate growing the population with increased prosperity and economic output.

it false growth if you import labour that doesn't cover the government services costs......

Whatever you views, the inability to hire skilled staff is a real problem for many companies, which becomes a problem for the Island. 

companies that fail to plan and train shouldn't be in business.......

2 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

Is it? I asked the head sheds at DigitalIOM which sectors are really short of people but I never got a reply

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Is it? I asked the head sheds at DigitalIOM which sectors are really short of people but I never got a reply

The best real-time indicator is the list of job vacancies, many of which are the tip of the iceberg. It becomes more complex that in such a competitive market with a finite resource, the wages are nudged up. It becomes a complex economic tug of war.

Archived