Enterprise Development Scheme.

hagar the horrible

And now, according to this weekend's Courier, DfE are to start offering financial assistance to hospitality employers in respect of supplementing wages paid to chefs, sous chefs, bar and general managers etc. It would appear that the industry has difficulty in attracting such people to the Island on the grounds of wages available.

A question springs to mind. Mr Skelly and Mr Thomas claim that tourism is burgeoning and the poor figures recently released were nothing to be concerned about and dismissable. So why can't the hospitality industry afford to pay sufficient wages to attract qualified staff by itself?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And now, according to this weekend's Courier, DfE are to start offering financial assistance to hospitality employers in respect of supplementing wages paid to chefs, sous chefs, bar and general managers etc. It would appear that the industry has difficulty in attracting such people to the Island on the grounds of wages available.

A question springs to mind. Mr Skelly and Mr Thomas claim that tourism is burgeoning and the poor figures recently released were nothing to be concerned about and dismissable. So why can't the hospitality industry afford to pay sufficient wages to attract qualified staff by itself?

Yes it’s mental. Subsidizing the cost of bringing low paid catering workers here. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

This is a truly astonishing story

Tourism policy is clearly failing

for some reason everytime this gets a mention i hear this song.........

Sherrif Fatman started out is business as a granny farmer
He was infamous for fifteen minutes
And he appeared on Panorama
Then he somehow got on board a Starship Enterprise Allowance Scheme..........

:whistling:

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I don’t know if I’m reading this right. We have another section of the vested interests group influencing Government and getting Banquets, Business bookings and general business as a result of Government policies - whilst some other businesses who aren’t part of the gang, get diddley squat. This grouping really don’t wish to increase their staff wages so use statistics and threats of shortages, and hey presto - Government policy changed. If a business can’t afford to pay its staff, you cut your cloth accordingly. You make some redundancies. Why don’t the managers actually do some work such being a chef or pulling pints behind the bar? I would rather Government actually attempt to influence tourist policy, rather than the usual Skelly and Thomas bullshit double act. 

Local Hoteliers and Hospitality employers employ non Manx employees- I can’t blame them as sadly Manx people won’t get out of bed for minimum wage. Polish and Portuguese will work for minimum wage, and are reliable, educated and hard working without clock watching!

Incidentally, is not going to set/send a good message to new recruits to Hospitality and Catering, especially those at University Isle of Man. Study Hard and Work Hard, work  long and unsocial hours and put up with poor pay. I can understand why most students trying and escape the rock for university, and study subjects more in keeping with the economy. Finance, Accounting, Law and Medicine are popular, along with other subjects like marketing, and IT to help fill in the void of e-gaming qualified staff . Still with this new access to funding, I’m sure someone working in Catering will get a job managing the staff canteen of an egaming firm, or they could get a job managing Government Offices Staff Canteen (if they are qualified to make Toasties!

It is total failure of tourism development policy that has led to this farcical behaviour by the propagandists of free market economics in CoMin

The policy function has to be wrested away from them - it has been a failure for 20+ years now, & made folly by the Quayle Administration

Is the assistance available to all or is there a stringent application process based on profit, headcount, necessity and facts ?

Or will Robertshaws "baby" (which ironically should have been aborted) The Sefton be receiving cash regardless, and the other "sacred cow" of The Brewery might suddenly turn Landlords into Food & Beveage Managers.

I wonder if the Alf Cannan owned recruitment agency have a few new vacancies in the Hospitality Sector......

12 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

...........I've  just been reading about it and it appears there are a whole ruck of hoops to jump through...........

I’ll hazard a guess that those hoops will be flattened for a few of the chosen hoteliers...

26 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

...........I've  just been reading about it and it appears there are a whole ruck of hoops to jump through...........

Just like the landowners who got paid out of the public purse because it was a bit sunny?.......:angry:

I think the demand for staff is paradoxically because parts of the industry are actually doing well, despite the challenges in both recruiting and retaining staff.

I understand the rationale behind the 20% is that after the first year, the 20% is roughly what the IOMG would have seen through income tax and other sources of tax. Assuming that most staff remain on-Island for a year, then the combination of the tax take and the (assumed) spending of their wages in the local economy - it pays for itself. 

These types of schemes are quite common in a range of countries/regions. There are different flavours; grants, payment in arears, etc - but they amount to the same.

Assuming the Isle of Man is in the business of attracting new workers (and its stated aim is to grow the population), it is analogous to the business concept of customer lifetime value (CLV). Using modelling, they can estimate for deferred outlay 'X' they can make X+Y back after 12/18/24 months, whilst inhibiting risk through payment in arears.

Many would argue ‘bog all to attract people’ is a universal challenge not just faced by the Isle of Man, but locations in Scotland, Ireland etc.

Obviously there’s a demographic that the Island appeals to, but there’s real competition for people and the pipeline of skilled staff on the Island is not enough to satisfy demand. Solving that particular problem is a whole different topic.

I know in other sectors, the employer may use the additional funds as added incentives or to support relocation costs.

Not sure on the group and when.

Archived