Blasphemy by Another Name...?

quilp

10 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I would rather they drop RE from the school curriculum and replace the lesson with something more useful.

I dunno, you could argue that if RE was taught in a more sensible way then things like islamaphobia and antisemitism would/should reduce

Faith schools. The first step on the ladder of religious separatism. For all their virtue they are divisive and exclusionary. Kids aren't born racists or homophobes or whatever, it has to be learned behaviour: what they see, hear and sense from their parents and peers. It begins in the home and school playground. 

Being seen to give or take away privilege by law is asking for trouble. The most common example of this is giving actual or perceived privilege to religious groups.

I am, of course, happy for anyone to have the right to have what ever religious beliefs they want but I reject any form of special treatment or privilege that religion then demands.

I agree with quilp that this commonly starts with faith schools and after school clubs which of course is why the exist in the first place. Educational establishments should be the places unusual parental influence is questioned. 

This dead spider here refuses to answer.

I think you can be said to have questions about a group (not specifically those affected by religion) that don't get anywhere near fear and don't involve hate at all. 

Perhaps we ought to have a word suffix that allows question without signaling apparent fear or hate.

Not suggesting I am questioning muslims but if you want to, how's about islamocircumspect?   (now waits for some comedian to say all muslim men have been "circumspected")

On 12/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, dilligaf said:

Religion is only as powerful as the man pulling the strings.

The Greatest Story Ever Told, was maybe the best ever movie made. It brought men to tears, including me, and will never, ever be forgotten.

The theme behind it was a load of tosh though.

The power of movie directors is king.

Longest Story Ever Told. They took us to see this from school at about age 9. Bored stiff.

Archived