Fairy tales?

doc.fixit

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

High rise fairy houses anyone? Where are they btw?

It's a good question.  Since the big publicity splash at the end of 2018, there's been little promotion of them.  They was supposed to have been a 'trail map' produced to go with them, but by the following June, Skelly was still promising it, now called a Manx folklore map, and there seems no evidence that it ever appeared[1].

Meanwhile the one on Bradda Head predictably suffered from the weather and (it was claimed) was then vandalised, though the effects of erecting fragile structures in an exposed position in the middle of winter seems as likely.  It was removed and it was promised that it would be put up elsewhere, but again there's no evidence.  Whether the other three (two in Dhoon Glen and one in Ballaglass Glen) are still there I don't know and I suspect they haven't been maintained if they are.

[1]  Juan Moore's Manx Folklore Map seems to be a completely different thing produced the following year, without any government support and with no mention of the fairy houses.  In fact the whole saga surrounding these is a classic case of the DfE spending lots of money to not do something that the locals actually did do very well and with no government money.  The fairy houses idea was originally done in Castletown (and they did produce a map) and has since been done in Port Erin.  Even the publicity that the houses got initially wasn't generated by DfE and it's expensive London PR representatives, but by the Swedish manufacturers of the objects.

• Like 1

Two have appeared on large stumps resulting from the felling of Dieback-affected trees on Ramsey's Lezayre Rd, opposite the RGS West Building entrance but I don't know if they're part of Skelly's original plan or copycat attempts. They're brightly coloured and look to be of local manufacture.

25 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Sometimes I wish you weren't so very good at the internet.

I wanted to keep my vision of the sparkling little houses with little fairies inside.   The ones that cost 6.5k each.

But they do still exist - inside the magical realm that is Skelly's head.

After all there's so much space there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Two have appeared on large stumps resulting from the felling of Dieback-affected trees on Ramsey's Lezayre Rd, opposite the RGS West Building entrance but I don't know if they're part of Skelly's original plan or copycat attempts. They're brightly coloured and look to be of local manufacture.

Yer man that did the three legs on Barrule did them with i suspect no help from Skelly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But they do still exist - inside the magical realm that is Skelly's head.

After all there's so much space there.

The perfect candidate for President of Tynwald then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Whether the other three (two in Dhoon Glen and one in Ballaglass Glen) are still there I don't know and I suspect they haven't been maintained if they are.

Only one by the waterfall in Dhoon remains...., but that was placed where the public couldn't reach it....

£6k each was and still remains an utter piss take.

• Thanks 3