High Street gloom

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

I politely suggest your 30 years behind the curve.

Not really, I have/had been involved in clubs on the island and noticed the downward trend over the last decade. Too much cheap alcohol from supermarkets whilst the cost of drinks in clubs escalated. Result - people drinking before they leave the house and turn up to clubs later at night.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Not really, I have/had been involved in clubs on the island and noticed the downward trend over the last decade. Too much cheap alcohol from supermarkets whilst the cost of drinks in clubs escalated. Result - people drinking before they leave the house and turn up to clubs later at night.

If at all.

8 hours ago, woody2 said:

it would be like the intrepid fox......... just with less class.......

Wardour Street? My local for years. The massive parrot on a perch at the end of the bar that lived on peanuts and Babycham. That the one? 

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Methinks you are talking rubbish. A decent night club run properly would clean up on the island. Problem the island has had is the ones we currently have don’t cater for the age group with disposable income. Aiming for the under 30’s is a no winner

taxi driver logic lol.

16 hours ago, Declan said:

Hasn't that become a Byron Burger now? (although I think that chain is retreating too).

yes- the bar has opened in other places since......

16 hours ago, Declan said:

How do you DJ mp3s anyway  - is that just a playlist?

same a vinyl- with a mixer.......

if you stick space dust in your gob it apparently sounds just the same as vinyl......

Fucking legendary that place. Got bladdered in there with a permanently-angry Julie Birchall and punk-hipster/artist Caroline Coon and a few other music business types before doing support to the 'Angelic Upstarts' at the (proper) Marquee up the street. Another band on the list that night, 'Well Well Well' had a Manx lad on lead - Colin McGuiness. Wonder where he is now..?

1991/2 was doing a gig at wembley are we took some of the bands crew for a pint, slash went with us.......

it has along rock n' roll history.....

mick talked ronnie into joining the stones at the bar......

the upstairs gig room was always good for a after hours pint......

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

DTC Management have said that footfall in Strand St was down by 4% this Xmas...

and next xmas shoppers can all look forward to having 130 odd less spaces on the prom and the almost immediate end of free weekend parking in 3 of DBC's car parks. If they'd have allowed it to continue it would've meant an extra point-three percent on the rates. They'll probably extend the period of liability to 7pm from the inner harbour to the Palace, given time.

12 minutes ago, quilp said:

and next xmas shoppers can all look forward to having 130 odd less spaces on the prom and the almost immediate end of free weekend parking in 3 of DBC's car parks. If they'd have allowed it to continue it would've meant an extra point-three percent on the rates. They'll probably extend the period of liability to 7pm from the inner harbour to the Palace, given time.

Yep, footfall will be down further with such stupid policies being introduced. It’s almost like they want to bankrupt their own business ratepayers and force them out to Braddan where there is loads of parking. 

Ah! but the Govt are not going to approve of Braddan retail expansion until someone slips them a few directorships for the developers companies???

( To be taken up on retirement from politics, of course !!" ).

On 1/11/2019 at 10:18 PM, Neil Down said:

House parties are more popular....cheap booze....no paranoia when consuming recreational drugs...no rules as such...friends only therefore no chance of some thug beating the shit out of you...night clubs, on the whole, are dying out and it's a good thing in my opinion. Most young people are wiser with money, they game, they don't tend to do drugs or get shitfaced, yes, the feckless still do that but generally the younger people are smarter and wiser.

19 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Cannot understand charging for parking on a Sunday when the prom refurbishment is going on seems counter productive of course one lot is Govt the other Corpy so it was never going to be a joined up decision, prats.

Sound like greed to me, trying to cash in on a parking shortage. 

But it will come back to bite them on the arse like new years eve 1999.

Archived