High Street gloom

hissingsid

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

In various trips to the Strand Centre in the last 12 months I have yet to see more than one or two customers in there at any one time. Usually outnumbered by sales assistants.

ETA. Including a couple of days before Xmas just past.

agree, it couldn't be the cost of trainers could it? I mean who doesn't pay £500 for white kids trainers... :rolleyes:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

In various trips to the Strand Centre in the last 12 months I have yet to see more than one or two customers in there at any one time. Usually outnumbered by sales assistants.

That was another classic MF thread with posters trying to justify the Flannels IOM business plan. As you say the shop almost always has more staff than customers in it when you go past. 

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:
6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

agree, it couldn't be the cost of trainers could it? I mean who doesn't pay £500 for white kids trainers... :rolleyes:

How much do they pay for black kid's trainers ?:P

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That was another classic MF thread with posters trying to justify the Flannels IOM business plan. As you say the shop almost always has more staff than customers in it when you go past. 

There was general agreement that the only possible explanations of the existence of Flannels and their price levels were:

(a) the Department of Enterprise (or whatever it was called that year) had deluded them into believing that the Island was full of multimillionaires, simultaneously willing to splash out on overpriced tat and unable to work out how to get off the Island.  While in fact the ones we do have are all tight and only too willing to swan off to Bond Street if they do need to splash the cash;

(b) the Sports Direct empire had some complicated tax scam going on that required a physical store presence;

(c)  the aforementioned D of E was paying them cash for some strange reason, just like all the other strange reasons it hands out money.

I did wonder if it could be a front for selling drugs (the prices would make sense if they came with a free 'gift''), but obviously it would be much busier if that were the case.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was general agreement that the only possible explanations of the existence of Flannels and their price levels were:

(a) the Department of Enterprise (or whatever it was called that year) had deluded them into believing that the Island was full of multimillionaires, simultaneously willing to splash out on overpriced tat and unable to work out how to get off the Island.  While in fact the ones we do have are all tight and only too willing to swan off to Bond Street if they do need to splash the cash;

(b) the Sports Direct empire had some complicated tax scam going on that required a physical store presence;

(c)  the aforementioned D of E was paying them cash for some strange reason, just like all the other strange reasons it hands out money.

I did wonder if it could be a front for selling drugs (the prices would make sense if they came with a free 'gift''), but obviously it would be much busier if that were the case.

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

(b) and (c) I reckon. Not only helping them to avoid tax but paying them to do it as well. All for the kudos of having a Flannels in our "premium" shopping run, as only befits our burgeoning, booming economy. It's the way these minds work

Makes me wonder what'll happen to the now vacated ex-Shoprite premises under Chester St carpark. Now that is one big, empty cave of a place.

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

(b) and (c) I reckon. Not only helping them to avoid tax but paying them to do it as well. All for the kudos of having a Flannels in our "premium" shopping run, as only befits our burgeoning, booming economy. It's the way these minds work

Makes me wonder what'll happen to the now vacated ex-Shoprite premises under Chester St carpark. Now that is one big, empty cave of a place.

A big nightclub would be what is very much needed. Not for me I might add, but there is nothing now like what we used to have with the Cave, Lido etc.

Anything that will suit our youngsters is what it has to become.

( We also had Paramount, Jefferson's, Studebaker's Niki Dow, Dow Jones, etc. etc.)  

39 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A big nightclub would be what is very much needed. Not for me I might add, but there is nothing now like what we used to have with the Cave, Lido etc.

Anything that will suit our youngsters is what it has to become.

( We also had Paramount, Jefferson's, Studebaker's Niki Dow, Dow Jones, etc. etc.)  

Not often I agree with Dilli.

Archived