High Street gloom

hissingsid

21 hours ago, Declan said:

Edit to add: I struggle to see this in Strand Street, The Quay perhaps Castletown and Peel maybe

David Christian will be in touch with you soon. I believe that you can still breath through these ball gags!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pongo said:

I cannot even see much future for places like PC World / Currys unless they start having more stuff in stock to actually take away. It's pointless visiting a shop to be told that "we can order that for you" - whether it's shoes or TVs. Might as well just read the reviews and order online.

Totally agree there. You might as well shop online than have some spotty faced kid waste 20 minutes of your time to eventually come back and tell you they have none in stock. 

Douglas will fight tooth and boundary change to keep retail within Dlas. All suggestions of using Cooil Rd for expanded retail have met with public distain and god knows what behind the scenes approaches to Govt to prevent this.

In a way, I agree with them, in that the greater Dlas area is the place for retail expansion. Cooil Rd, that's in Braddan, isn't it? Hence the desire of Dlas to gag any suggestions for outside development.

If Douglas BC want to keep retail within Douglas then they need to start getting retail-friendly in umpteen facets of their approach. The exodus to Cooil Rd etc. hasn't just happened for no reason. The sooner DBC wake up to that the sooner they'll have some retail industry to shout about.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Must say n fairness bought a washing machine from Currys last Year and had it delivered in 48 hours, very pleasant sales assistant.

They seem to be carrying a bigger white goods stock these days.

23 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If Douglas BC want to keep retail within Douglas then they need to start getting retail-friendly in umpteen facets of their approach. The exodus to Cooil Rd etc. hasn't just happened for no reason. The sooner DBC wake up to that the sooner they'll have some retail industry to shout about.

The only future Douglas has is to slowly revert back to largely residential over the next 25 years. More retail space going into apartments and brown field sites going for housing. 

Archived