Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

48 minutes ago, quilp said:

Bloody hell yessir. Cynical aren't ya? Perhaps if they build it perhaps they will come.

You can take the man out of Ramsey but you can't take Ramsey out of the man...:lol:

Oh, I hope it happens but Ramsey is Ramsey.

• Like 2

this guy was on manx radio tonight expressing his vision for the new douglas harbour.  said something along the lines of if the ben breaks down then it would be impossible to source a replacement anywhere in the western hemisphere so the best solution is a complete new harbour with cruise docking facilities, a tanker berth and room at the end for a gas and oil extraction service facility.

The lack of funds currently is not an issue as these would be sought if the proposal gets somewhere near approval to proceed. if this could be secured, the proposal does appear to be an exciting one that would improve Ramsey for the better. However, recent history suggests that Ramsey Commissioners have tended to take the view that Ramsey is fine as it is and does not need inward investment or better facilities, particularly if this involves changing the town in any significant way...

• Sad 1

My initial reaction on seeing this was "WTF?" but having got over the initial shock, I am cautiously in support of it provided no public money is put at risk.  I'm somewhat doubtful whether enough yachtspeople could be attracted to the marina to make it pay, but if they can, it would be a great idea.  There should be more opportunities for employment in Ramsey, so you don't have so many people doing the daily commute from Ramsey to Douglas over the mountain (hands up - I am one of said commuters).  It should generate a number of pubs, restaurants, yacht chandlers and that sort of thing.

I would point out however that the map he is using is rather out of date: the "gas holders" shown opposite Ramsey inner harbour have long since been demolished and there is a new Haven Homes housing development on the site now.   

19 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Haven't they completely forgotten about the existing RNLI boathouse ... exactly how will they be able to launch when the beach is no more ?

If only there was some sort of dredged,  non-drying mooring facility involved in this development plan . . .

Edited by Yibble
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

My initial reaction on seeing this was "WTF?" but having got over the initial shock, I am cautiously in support of it provided no public money is put at risk.  I'm somewhat doubtful whether enough yachtspeople could be attracted to the marina to make it pay, but if they can, it would be a great idea.  There should be more opportunities for employment in Ramsey, so you don't have so many people doing the daily commute from Ramsey to Douglas over the mountain (hands up - I am one of said commuters).  It should generate a number of pubs, restaurants, yacht chandlers and that sort of thing.

I would point out however that the map he is using is rather out of date: the "gas holders" shown opposite Ramsey inner harbour have long since been demolished and there is a new Haven Homes housing development on the site now.   

All plans to make Ramsey a nice place have been quashed by the people of Ramsey in the end. This will be no different. 

• Like 1