Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

This gent also now claims to be behind a number of successful marina projects in West Africa. Can anybody on MF more digitally literate than myself look them up?

ETA it's actually container ports, allegedly. My bad.

Edited by Non-Believer
Correction

There's no Economic Development Fund-type cash up for grabs in this, is there perchance? Just a thought, given the finances position that Derek Flint has posted up previously. A luscious bit of bait for Lawrence and Co?

As predicted, Wilfy was quickly on the attack on TH at dinnertime. Rubbishing the whole idea, although he did suggest that it might be better being constructed using the north breakwater and beach rather than the south. The guy who suggested using the (poisonous) silt dredged from Peel marina in the construction clearly lived in Peel....

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

If this is private enterprise what is there to lose ?   Sometimes people go for years dipping in and out of business ventures and never make headway sometimes they come really good.    As I say if it is private enterprise and the Government do not get within a mile of it it may be great and what is there to lose ?

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If this is private enterprise what is there to lose ?   Sometimes people go for years dipping in and out of business ventures and never make headway sometimes they come really good.    As I say if it is private enterprise and the Government do not get within a mile of it it may be great and what is there to lose ?

Who will invest in this and why.? How would they get a return on their investment ?

It is pure rubbish and should not be taken seriously at all.

8 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

I’m interested in this project because I live very close to where it’s proposed to be, and I’m in favour of it in principle because I can see it would have the potential to revitalise Ramsey if it goes ahead.  So I’m not here to knock it.  BUT I have found it surprisingly difficult to find out any reliable information about Robin Bromley-Martin or the companies he’s been associated with.

Let’s try the basics first – Google for him.  This brings up a few websites which he is associated with, including this one:
http://www.port-edl.com/ (Port Evolution and Development (Africa) Limited)
and a linked-in page, and a Facebook page.  The trouble is, they are all self-written, anyone can write anything about themselves and it doesn’t necessarily need to be true.  What I’m looking for is something independent written about him by someone else.

So there’s this from Companies House:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/pRmPHlxY7cdgWTuR02ub7X9CmWY/appointments
which lists a number of companies he’s been associated with, most of which he’s resigned from.  Let’s work down the list.  

The first one is Port Evolution and Development (Africa) Limited, which is the one associated with the website above, and we’ll come back to that in a minute.

Next up is Blutel Holdings Limited (dissolved).  Googling this, I can’t find anything substantial about what (if anything) this company did, or why it was dissolved.

Next: Bighead Limited, Bighead Bonding Fasteners Limited and various associated companies.  This seems to be a genuine engineering group making steel fasteners and other components, but he resigned from all companies in the group in 2009, and it didn’t seem to have anything to do with ports or harbours.

So, back to Port Evolution and Development (Africa) Limited.  Visiting their website, it is full of glorious self-promotion about how they have been involved in developing port facilities in Russia (project value $400M USD) and Nigeria (project value $500M USD) but the ports concerned are not named, and Googling for “Port Evolution and Development” doesn’t bring up any useful information either: nothing for example from any British, Russian or Nigerian news media, saying how wonderful (or otherwise) the new ports were after they were built, and how grateful everyone is to the company for bringing jobs to the area, etc.  So it’s impossible to verify the information.

So long story short, it’s very difficult to establish whether these are people / companies of any substance, or whether they are just full of froth and self promotion.

So based on your findings, it’s a shoe in for the government to throw wads of money at it...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's simple. Every proposal for advancement in Ramsey since 1975 has been told to feck off. There has been the odd exception where they've argued about it for a few years - before fecking it off.

Have a think about why that might be.

Ramsey is a great place as it is. It would be destroyed by turning it into something it isn't or just becoming like a thousand other places 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Have a think about why that might be.

Ramsey is a great place as it is. It would be destroyed by turning it into something it isn't or just becoming like a thousand other places 

Exactly Dilli, not knocking this particular scheme plenty of past schemes were never for the betterment of the town just get rich quick deals for those proposing them.

• Like 2