Ramsey Marina

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

Yes.  It looks brilliant to me.

A new beach, hotel, shops and restaurants, plus some new build property and hopefully all without any taxpayers money.

This is a statement, also made by others such as Allinson, that expansion is good. More houses, more shops. But when that is completed, there will be people who will still want more houses, more shops, ad infinitum.

Well, not ad infinitum because that is impossible.

You might be right that at the moment more house and shops would be good, but you also have to specify when to stop the expansion. What is the perfect size for Ramsey?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I would like to see another 40000 people on the island and Ramsey up to about 12,000.

I know most won’t agree.

Fine, if they will live in apartments built on all the derelict brownfield sites we have and the developers pay for the increased health and education provision prior to the developments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I would rather see the brownfield sites as entertainment venues, restaurants, shops and car parks and then better transport links and roads into the town from new estates.

Again.  Not popular with the nimbys but shouldn’t even need developers to pay for infrastructure improvements.  If government managed their finances properly the whole well managed and staged expansion of the population would be self funding through increased tax revenues and we would all benefit from cheaper services and on and off island travel.

Anyway, I digress.  Get the marina built and that would be a start

Can you point to anywhere the current marina proposers have built and finished similar developments?.

Looking at the state of some vessels in Peel and Douglas marinas I wonder if the demand is there?.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Any suggestion to pedestrianise the quayside shows a total lack of understanding of how the harbour and surrounding businesses operate.

What a walter you are. Happy to see Ramsey desecrated by get rich quick builders who'll bugger off at a moments notice but doesn't what the quayside modernising. The surrounding businesses on the quayside would get on a lot better without cars driving along. Plenty of areas around Ramsey that could be utilised for parking

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

How would Mezeron, Island cement, and all the fisherman cope without vehicles on the harbour exactly?

1. Mezeron could leave easily enough driving past the Royal George

2. Fishermen could utilise the area where the Mezeron boat docks or unload on the quay opposite Mezeron

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Yes.  It looks brilliant to me.

A new beach, hotel, shops and restaurants, plus some new build property and hopefully all without any taxpayers money.

I don’t see why Ramsey wouldn’t want that?

Because it wouldn't happen...... the high priced housing would be completed and the rest would be a folly... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

one of the many, many bad things about this project is that,if given approval, this marina won't just magically appear. I would imagine this construction would be a nightmare for Ramsey and it's environment.

And we'll end up with a rich man's enclave inside this rich man's enclave we all live in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It’s a pipe dream like every other Ramsey harbour fantasy including the Pier obsessed fleece wearing tin rattlers - now that’s sorted can we concentrate on the Government “resignations” thank you 

Self quote - more chance of the Joke Shop Opening or Barry Curran coming back - it ain’t happening 

• Like 1

Perhaps, and just perhaps, if these Marina developers could deposit a say £10 million bond or whatever appropriate amount, that they wouldn’t just build the houses and bugger off without building a marina, to an agreed specification  that may possibly be acceptable. 

The £10 million pound or whatever amount being that would be needed to tear down the houses and restore the area to its original condition.

But that’s not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It’s a pipe dream like every other Ramsey harbour fantasy including the Pier obsessed fleece wearing tin rattlers - now that’s sorted can we concentrate on the Government “resignations” thank you 

The Pier obsessed fleece wearers are doing a great job. Working all hours for no pay.

Would you similarly abuse Beach Buddies?

• Like 4

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

The Pier obsessed fleece wearers are doing a great job. Working all hours for no pay.

Would you similarly abuse Beach Buddies?

Poor analogy- one is a historical society that I will acknowledge are trying to preserve a piece of history so best of luck. 

Beach Buddies - don’t go there - best intentions but 4x4 gas guzzlers and gong chasing not on my remit

• Like 1