OddBins no more?

yootalkin2me

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

"Teapot" is correct. There is already a thread about this, so we should not be running two side by side.

Youtalkin2me should delete this one.

No Dilli, that is a thread about pubs closing, this is a thread about off-licences closing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I still remember the adverts for staff about 3 years ago.

Something like 6 delivery drivers , 3 or 4 forklift drivers, a dozen or so warehouse staff etc. etc. Some poor f***ers even "binned" their jobs on the promise of great things.

They were not needed here

They were not wanted here

Were the staff OddBinned then?

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

Has the local Oddbins fallen? I've never been there and I'm an alcoholic wine buff, so if it's not doing well, I might be responsible!!!

In all fairness the Oddbins signage etc at Peel Road in the Newspapers building was originally planned to be a commercial wine warehouse (bonded?) but it obviously failed to get off the ground. The warehouse and the pub and play barn near the hospital idea never materialised - despite having many great, good and tosspots backing the idea.

On a separate note It could be argued that the signage alone is rather like a brass plate on a building in Athol Street, and the EU are due to rule whether the IOM should be included on a blacklist due to, many brass plates and little economic activity. 

Apparently the high street coffee chain Cafe Nero is based here - sadly no physical presence on the island. 

Whilst Oddbins et al have been put into administration, there is talk that the same management may buy back Oddbins - flatpack administration - sadly some creditors will or may, lose out, along with staff. 

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

GIYF ?

Google Is Your Friend ;)

And would tell  you that "WOWGR stands for Warehousekeepers and Owners of Warehoused Goods Regulations. A certificate obtained under these regulations allows a business to move goods with the payment of duty suspended from one bonded warehouse to another."

Archived