OddBins no more?

yootalkin2me

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Didn't he also get refused planning permission for a Wacky Warehouse type pub and play facility in Tromode? They don't like outsiders these manx mafia do they.

Isn't that this https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=17/00936/B ? According to the link it is still valid until October this year?

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Didn't he also get refused planning permission for a Wacky Warehouse type pub and play facility in Tromode? They don't like outsiders these manx mafia do they.

Nope. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the applicant etc which let’s face it are well known, in this instance perhaps the forces of the establishment coupled with various ‘wronged’ ‘aggrieved’ and ‘upset’ businesses objected. 

It should be noted that an Oddbins sign above the door at the Newspaper Building was erected a few years ago, and s previous attempt to open may not have come to fruition.

In some respects, it doesn’t bode well for the old Eurocars site, into a Starbucks/KFC drive through. Other usual vested interests have started to add their opinions. 

16 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Personally I think the IOM is crying out for one of those kind of places. The Cat is probably the closest, and last time I was there the food was average.

3 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Isn't that this https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=17/00936/B ? According to the link it is still valid until October this year?

Let’s make this a test of HRH The Chief Minister and the Starship Enterprise policy in dealing with HNWI. Let’s see if they can get things moving? I doubt it!

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Let’s make this a test of HRH The Chief Minister and the Starship Enterprise policy in dealing with HNWI. Let’s see if they can get things moving? I doubt it!

Oh, lets be clear. They will never build it, it is a pure and simple land value exercise. That's the case with a large proportion of these HNWI related proposals, sadly your MHKs fall for it nearly every time.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Personally I think the IOM is crying out for one of those kind of places. The Cat is probably the closest, and last time I was there the food was average.

Absolutely. A genuine fun barn, not like the scruffy greasy thing in Onchan, with a decent pub/restaurant attached would make a killing on here, especially with the amount of cold and wet days we get on the rock.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Average? must have improved greatly then.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Isn't the real reason it was turned down because H&B said so?

I can’t stand the brewery but I think if you read Whittalls Wines Ltd & European Food Brokers Limited v HMRC it’s clear that HMRC in the UK do not regard some of the parties to this as being fit and proper so I’d say it was always unlikely that the IOM wouldn’t determine much different. 

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I can’t stand the brewery but I think if you read Whittalls Wines Ltd & European Food Brokers Limited v HMRC it’s clear that HMRC in the UK do not regard some of the parties to this as being fit and proper so I’d say it was always unlikely that the IOM wouldn’t determine much different. 

So what is being intimated, the IOM has to blindly and slavishly follow UK court judgements, irrespective of arguments. If one is deemed guilty in a UK court/tribunal then they are denied fullstop, and are denied licenses here or treated with disdain. 

I am no fan of the applicant, but whatever their faults and rights and wrongs, the owner of Oddbins still have a business(Es) on the island and presumably they employ people, pay taxes, pay NI and use local services. Perhaps some of the vested interests are circling thinking they are going to get rich pickings. 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

So what is being intimated, the IOM has to blindly and slavishly follow UK court judgements, irrespective of arguments. If one is deemed guilty in a UK court/tribunal then they are denied fullstop, and are denied licenses here or treated with disdain. 

I am no fan of the applicant, but whatever their faults and rights and wrongs, the owner of Oddbins still have a business(Es) on the island and presumably they employ people, pay taxes, pay NI and use local services. Perhaps some of the vested interests are circling thinking they are going to get rich pickings. 

Perhaps you should read the findings of the case before you kick off about it all being a conspiracy? 

Added link 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=45464

5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Absolutely. A genuine fun barn, not like the scruffy greasy thing in Onchan, with a decent pub/restaurant attached would make a killing on here, especially with the amount of cold and wet days we get on the rock.

Indeed it would after you've tried to recoup the initial £1million investment ...

That's a lot of nuggets & chips & one hour sessions in the pissy & puke filled ball pen.

Archived