Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Ha. They have just announced an emergency closure of Broadway for five days from tomorrow to implement a revised traffic management solution. 

It's almost as if they didn't realise having a stop sign with a pelican crossing right by it may be a bad idea. 

Can't wait to see what they come up with next. 

The last 20 or more years people have been trundling down Broadway and on seeing a green light have just followed the car in front and now...... right over the STOP sign.

Has there been an accident there yet? A couple of Fridays ago there were various police and ambulance there (and a dog van??) but I don't know if that was a result of the somewhat bizarre temporary road layout or something else.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The last 20 or more years people have been trundling down Broadway and on seeing a green light have just followed the car in front and now...... right over the STOP sign.

Has there been an accident there yet? A couple of Fridays ago there were various police and ambulance there (and a dog van??) but I don't know if that was a result of the somewhat bizarre temporary road layout or something else.

Apparently yes. Could be that Friday your referring too. Someone got knocked down on that crossing .

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Granted but have you heard the racket and vibration the trams in Manchester create running on concrete. I assume they did that so that people can hear them coming and at least get out of the way. But on a sleepy heritage route across Douglas Prom? It doesn’t really seem to make much sense trying not to dampen the noise. 

I haven’t noticed them being louder or creating more vibration than Amsterdam, Sofia, Dublin, Zaragoza, which are the last 4 places I’ve been which have had them.

And there’s a real difference between a double tram unit, weighing 40 tonnes, travelling at 3 or 4 times the speed  of a horse tram ( in shared space - and up to 50mph on dedicated segregated track ) and carrying 200+ passengers, and a light, slow horse tram moving at walking pace.

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Literally the very first thing I said when I saw it. The potential for someone to be knocked down by a vehicle turning into Broadway from the Gaiety end was obvious. 

Well maybe if your former colleagues policed that area and enforced it then maybe the crap drivers, and they must be to not do 20mph in a 20mph zone with adequate signage and bloody bright traffic lights, might just get the message to slow the hell down, pay attention and be considerate or leave their cars at home and fucking well walk.

Edited by yootalkin2me

35 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Well maybe if your former colleagues policed that area and enforced it then maybe the crap drivers, and they must be to not do 20mph in a 20mph zone with adequate signage and bloody bright traffic lights, might just get the message to slow the hell down, pay attention and be considerate or leave their cars at home and fucking well walk.

Sorry, I think you need Gary Roberts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I haven’t noticed them being louder or creating more vibration than Amsterdam, Sofia, Dublin, Zaragoza, which are the last 4 places I’ve been which have had them.

And there’s a real difference between a double tram unit, weighing 40 tonnes, travelling at 3 or 4 times the speed  of a horse tram ( in shared space - and up to 50mph on dedicated segregated track ) and carrying 200+ passengers, and a light, slow horse tram moving at walking pace.

Probably the difference between a modern form of transport run properly for people's convenience, and a rickety old nag cart that's trundling along empty as it shakes itself apart! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The easiest way to fix the rail problem is to stop laying them when they reach the Villa. 

I'm told the horse tram part of the scheme is heading massively over budget already and it's highly likely they will scrap the Loch Promenade section (that also removes the need to lose 90 - 100 parking spaces which should prove popular with the public). 

There's only one way they can scrap it and that is via Tynwald and there the ones that sign off on this mess in the first place.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

So we're back to the over engineering again.

3 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Ask Father Christmas to get you a book on how to use punctuation correctly.

59 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

According to the rail lads over doing the job it's all well over engineered .

If true, makes one wonder how much we really needed to spend on a Victorian horsedrawn tramway? 

9 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Ask Father Christmas to get you a book on how to use punctuation correctly.

Oh, im sorry, are you a grammar expert? Funny thing about grammar, spelling and punctuation, the human brain can process text with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling so it doesn't really matter as most people are able to 'fill in the blanks, not sure what the percentage is but let's say it's at 90%, you then, are in the minority 10% and I tend not to cater for the minority.

• Haha 1