Losing your job

Chinahand

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

There are NO gods at all ever. It is all bollocks. So sad that people still push this shite, even though we live in an enlightened era

Ever since humans started to think, converse and write they probably thought they lived in an enlightened era. It's part of the conceit of man. We probably know a zillionth of one percent of what there actually is to know. About creation we know nothing at all, so it ill behoves us to be smug.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

We are not even able to make a successful moon landing without hollywood special effects.

But we did land on the moon. The staged landing in the movie set was just to make it look better.

19 hours ago, woolley said:

Ever since humans started to think, converse and write they probably thought they lived in an enlightened era. It's part of the conceit of man. We probably know a zillionth of one percent of what there actually is to know. About creation we know nothing at all, so it ill behoves us to be smug.

Nah, still a load of rubbish.

I have said before that some of the best songs ever written are hymns and same for the music. That is what I enjoy about churches. I can't be doing with men in white and purple gowns wearing huge necklaces, kissing candlesticks or statues though.

I have no problem if folk want to believe to ease the prospect of dying, just don't try to tell me it is all real.

On 4/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, Rushen Spy said:

That is nonsense. It may be structurally plural (-im) but that relates to the realms, spheres or worlds over which the deity is lord.

Correct - and it’ll all be resolved in season 8 which starts on Monday.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Correct - and it’ll all be resolved in season 8 which starts on Monday. 

Of course. I wasn't implying the existence of such a deity. I was just clarifying the etymology. Elohim is not plural for "gods"; it's plural for the "creation" over which the deity in question resides. The word is used for both the God worshipped by the ancient Israelites and also for ancient pagan deities. It's a singular.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Chinahand said:

Is it ok to be fired for communicating what the Christian bible explicitly says?

we'd soon run out of vicars and priests if that was the case.   not a bad thing i suppose.

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Nah, still a load of rubbish.

I have said before that some of the best songs ever written are hymns and same for the music. That is what I enjoy about churches. I can't be doing with men in white and purple gowns wearing huge necklaces, kissing candlesticks or statues though.

I have no problem if folk want to believe to ease the prospect of dying, just don't try to tell me it is all real.

I wouldn't presume to tell you anything about creation is true or false because it is beyond all of our understanding. It was the "enlightened era" bit that caught my attention. All is relative.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I wouldn't presume to tell you anything about creation is true or false because it is beyond all of our understanding. It was the "enlightened era" bit that caught my attention. All is relative.

Sorry Woolley, it was not directed at you personally.:flowers:

On 4/12/2019 at 1:21 AM, woolley said:

About creation we know nothing at all, so it ill behoves us to be smug.

Know nothing is a very strong statement. I don’t think all statements are equally valid. Knowledge exists and allows us to understand and operate better within the universe. 

The idea the universe was magicked into existence in 4004 BC with the instant divine creation of life within its kinds is either false or involves a deliberate deception to hide this fact behind copious evidence inconsistent with it. 

The knowledge of the Big Bang explains the distribution of elements, the radiation we can measure from outer space and much beside. This knowledge is of course vastly limited and I totally agree with what you say about the limit of our vision. But that doesn’t mean we know nothing. We are able to say some ideas are so inconsistent with what we have discovered about the world they can be put aside unless other evidence throws light on those inconsistencies. 

There is no need to give equal weight to the biblical creation story and the discoveries of modern science. We know enough to know one is useful the other myth and legend. 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, Chinahand said:

Know nothing is a very strong statement. I don’t think all statements are equally valid. Knowledge exists and allows us to understand and operate better within the universe. 

The idea the universe was magicked into existence in 4004 BC with the instant divine creation of life within its kinds is either false or involves a deliberate deception to hide this fact behind copious evidence inconsistent with it. 

The knowledge of the Big Bang explains the distribution of elements, the radiation we can measure from outer space and much beside. This knowledge is of course vastly limited and I totally agree with what you say about the limit of our vision. But that doesn’t mean we know nothing. We are able to say some ideas are so inconsistent with what we have discovered about the world they can be put aside unless other evidence throws light on those inconsistencies. 

There is no need to give equal weight to the biblical creation story and the discoveries of modern science. We know enough to know one is useful the other myth and legend. 

I would not argue with this. I agree that religious belief has grown out of ancient myth and stories passed down and augmented over time. Their original purpose is anybody's guess, but probably the manipulation of the populace by the cunning. It is interesting though that humanity seems to have a need to believe in a deity and is hardwired to do so. Different cultures around the world have this in common. Perhaps it's an expression of our mortality. It's comforting to suppose that something better awaits us rather than accepting that this short interval on Earth is the sum total.

I merely contend that we know precious little in the grand scheme of things and precisely zero about creation. We cannot replicate even the most mundane form of life and we know nothing of how a universe of energy and matter springs into existence at the point of the big bang. Even the big bang itself is merely a theory. Our knowledge is impressive, but only when assessed against our enormous limitations. I persist in my contention that whilst of course we can legitimately doubt the scriptures, we have no cause to be smug in denouncing the beliefs of others while at the same time having no better explanation to offer.

Archived