Hooray!

Rog

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

It was a very crass remark by Jo Brand, no question about that. But some of the audience thought it was funny. Which is why she was there and why she said it and that's what she was being paid for.

Personally I couldn't detect any malice in it. Which to me makes all the difference.

Because you agreed with it, no doubt. Had it been aimed at Anna Soubry or similar you'd be manning the barricades. Brand only ever speaks with a superior sneer.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, woolley said:

Because you agreed with it, no doubt. Had it been aimed at Anna Soubry or similar you'd be manning the barricades. Brand only ever speaks with a superior sneer.

I think the treatment of Anna Soubry (who personally I can't abide) and other female politicians recently has been appalling. Because the criticism often turns into men angrily and aggressively using their gender as part of the criticism rather than their policys or their actions their competness. Nobody ever said they wouldn't even rape Chris Grayling.  

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the treatment of Anna Soubry (who personally I can't abide) and other female politicians recently has been appalling. Because the criticism often turns into men angrily and aggressively using their gender as part of the criticism rather than their policys or their actions their competness. Nobody ever said they wouldn't even rape Chris Grayling.  

I think I agree with that.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

A strange riposte from the supposedly intellectually superior side of the divide. Such punyist bigotry.

Punyist bigotry? I can’t stand the creep, but that has nothing to do with him being a wheezy weed. My point is, he’s less able to defend himself against a physical attack than Anna Soubry, so jokes about acid attacks on him are not funny. 

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Bollox.

I was one of the few on here who condemned all the brexit racist rhetoric on migrants coming here in droves, millions of Turks en route, Farage's dreadful poster of desperate refugees fleeing a war zone etc etc because it resulted in the murder of Jo Cox.

As to Brand speaking with a superior sneer I think you've been taking in too many posts by Quilp. Jo Brand with a sneer. Laughable!

The BBC probably shouldn't have let it be broadcast. Because they clearly didn't realise that Farage in faux outrage would use it to push his agenda that his misguided followers would just lap up as per usual with little regard to the truth.

Farage: 

Raged that he was ”pretty tired of overpaid, left-wing, so-called comedians appearing on BBC Radio 4.”

He continued: “Well, I think we know fairly clearly who Jo brand was aiming that comment at.

“Do you think that’s a comedy? Do you think that’s reasonable?

“Or do you think, in the current climate, all that is doing is inciting hate?

“Because I tell you what - a lot of people, like Jo Brand, think the referendum was all a terrible mistake.

“And that they have a view that is morally superior to everybody else's."

Now this is a privileged commodities trader dissing a low paid but valued psychiatric nurse.

A BBC spokesperson said: “Heresy is a long-running comedy programme where, as the title implies and as our listeners know, panellists often say things which are deliberately provocative and go against societal norms but are not intended to be taken seriously.

"We carefully considered the programme before broadcast.

"It was never intended to encourage or condone violence, and it does not do so, but we have noted the strong reaction to it.

"Comedy will always push boundaries and will continue to do so, but on this occasion we have decided to edit the programme.

"We regret any offence we have caused.”

This is the bit I find particularly offensive:

Farage “Or do you think, in the current climate, all that is doing is inciting hate?"

From the person who put up a poster showing people fleeing a war zone coupled with the rhetoric that millions of Turks were headed our way.

This excuse for a man is just disgusting and so are his supporters....

6 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

He is a shitbag, no argument there. Jokes about acid attacks though?

It's all subjective.

Bad taste certainly. But nobody in their right mind (brexiteers excluded of course) could ever claim it was incitement to commit a terrible GBH attack.

See what I did there re subjective...?

Incidentally I remember topping off batteries with distilled water but I haven't seen one for years and years....

Archived