Manx Care - Sir Jonathan Michaels Report

Ham_N_Eggs

10 hours ago, woolley said:

What precisely would you do though, Derek? You mention higher taxes. Do you mean both corporate and personal? Would this not negate what is left of pretty much our only USP? Public sector cuts have been made to services, although the staff keeps on growing. Do you mean that you would cut jobs there? If so, to what extent? As has been said, turkeys do not vote for Christmas and there are an awful lot of turkeys out there.

Yep,  

business and personal. Not huge increases, but enough to start to make things more realistic. The big bridge of benefit has long gone, unless you are a VHNWI.

And yes, big staff cuts. When faced with similar issues, Northumbria Council shed six hundred posts. We are a village in the middle of the sea, run as if it it is a provincial city, with the additional burden of 22 intrinsic fiefdoms. 

There is no sense of reality. And you are absolutely right, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas, so they ain’t going to vote in someone with that sort of Bernard Matthews approach. 

The only way it would ever happen is for the Island to be run from Whitehall. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Yep,  

business and personal. Not huge increases, but enough to start to make things more realistic. The big bridge of benefit has long gone, unless you are a VHNWI.

And yes, big staff cuts. When faced with similar issues, Northumbria Council shed six hundred posts. We are a village in the middle of the sea, run as if it it is a provincial city, with the additional burden of 22 intrinsic fiefdoms. 

There is no sense of reality. And you are absolutely right, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas, so they ain’t going to vote in someone with that sort of Bernard Matthews approach. 

The only way it would ever happen is for the Island to be run from Whitehall. 

In theory, that is the sort of manifesto that would appeal to me, but can we have some more flesh on the bone please....

1." Not huge increases, but enough to start to make things more realistic." Give us an idea of proposed tax rates, money raised, use put to - rough figures will do.

2. "And yes, big staff cuts". Taking Nobles as an example that you have experience of.... What sort of staff in what departments?

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

In theory, that is the sort of manifesto that would appeal to me, but can we have some more flesh on the bone please....

1." Not huge increases, but enough to start to make things more realistic." Give us an idea of proposed tax rates, money raised, use put to - rough figures will do.

2. "And yes, big staff cuts". Taking Nobles as an example that you have experience of.... What sort of staff in what departments?

I’m not standing, so can’t be bothered doing detail!

Now starting to wade through the report and this just about sums up what a lot of people already knew. If this is just one department, I can only imagine what it must be like government-wide. 

There is not enough transparency about costs and spend. So it is not possible to judge whether, or to what degree, the spending of public money on health and care is appropriate or effective. There are insufficient processes or levers to hold to account the people with decision-making powers (whether clinical or non-clinical). There is also a lack of comprehensive,
consistent quality regulation across health and care services. When inspectors do find fault, their recommendations are not consistently implemented.

5 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

In all fairness Derek was there for about 10 minutes.:whistling:

8 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

and the problem is finding the right people to run it. I doubt that they are already on the Island and unless you pay mega bucks you will only get UK cast off managers and administrators. 

I anticipate that Michaels would view the membership of the Manx Care Board itself (let’s say 5 people...perhaps a few more) as derived from, say, a prominent successful businessman, a third sector “leader”, a respected retired clinician, a second person with a commercial background and “community leader” (whatever that actually means) along the lines of the Boards that run UK NHS Foundation Trusts, of which, of course, Michaels has chaired several. The managerial structure of Manx Care will largely be the existing DHSC “delivery” personnel, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see an appointment from off-Island as CEO of Manx Care (I’d be pretty certain it will have one). Just as long as they don’t replicate Charters.

Edited to add - a quick Google has shown that the UK's Health and Social Act 2012 sets out details of the roles and responsibilities of Foundation Trust Governors and Members, with the former seemingly appointed by way of elections. This all seems a little elaborate for us, if it's a model that Michaels favours for Manx Care. One other thing I'd be wary of is that, while Michaels is right to highlight to the need for patient/public involvement in healthcare delivery matters, there's always a risk with any public involvement of it gravitating towards the zealots, because people with an agenda are always the ones who get off their arses. Their agenda is very infrequently our agenda. I see that the Health and Care Association (HACA) have already been in Manx Radio's website headlines pushing their view. Whereas HACA may be sweetness and light now for all I know, it needs to be remembered that it was set up by Beecroft and the sceptic in me anticipates that it may well still be a vehicle for the voice of Beecroft. Now that's a voice that we certainly don't need in shaping healthcare delivery!

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

I anticipate that Michaels would view the membership of the Manx Care Board itself (let’s say 5 people...perhaps a few more) as derived from, say, a prominent successful businessman, a third sector “leader”, a respected retired clinician, a second person with a commercial background and “community leader” (whatever that actually means) along the lines of the Boards that run UK NHS Foundation Trusts, of which, of course, Michaels has chaired several. The managerial structure of Manx Care will largely be the existing DHSC “delivery” personnel, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see an appointment from off-Island as CEO of Manx Care (I’d be pretty certain it will have one). Just as long as they don’t replicate Charters.

Charters and and and ad infinitum 

Impression I have of goings on at new Nobles is that there is no positive communication programme for/with the many well educated people who work there

No obvious mention of instituting (if that's the right word) this in the Michaels recommendations

Also troubling is the CoMin decision to adopt all the recommendations right away before the report has got to Tynwald

Have they been having those private briefings again?

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Impression I have of goings on at new Nobles is that there is no positive communication programme for/with the many well educated people who work there

No obvious mention of instituting (if that's the right word) this in the Michaels recommendations

Also troubling is the CoMin decision to adopt all the recommendations right away before the report has got to Tynwald

Have they been having those private briefings again?

CoMin haven't decided to adopt all 26 recommendations; they've decided to support it when it goes to Tynwald. Thus hopefully meaning the other Tynwald Members also support it when it hits Tynwald, and collectively they can together decide on implementing it. 

The good news is this  report being issued has strangely brought Kate Beacroft off her sick bed and off sick leave with a miraculous recovery to enable her to attend the arena.  She has been revived after the rest since being fired.  I hope she does not gain an injury falling off the bandwagon she just jumped on. 

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

the bottom line , it already is.

Very distantly. Unfortunately, distantly enough for our own elected to make FUBAR of their own volition.

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

In all fairness Derek was there for about 10 minutes.:whistling:

I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave in another thread, on where I have built my perspective from. And it isn’t from a 10 minute sojourn up there. 

You really do need to get over this, or perhaps offer some meaningful insight of your own, especially if you do, or have worked for the health service at some point, or as closely as I did over 20 years.

Looking forward to it...

Archived