Do you allways take your shoes off when you walk into someones house ?

LightBulb

You could save any embarrassment and make your guests feel welcome if you fit one of these by the front door:

overs.png.90300ea5195cd9954b145b5c90c46422.png

If you are in the UK you could also hang a couple of St Georges flags from your upstairs windows because in the UK nothing says "Welcome" quite like the flag of St George....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You could save any embarrassment and make your guests feel welcome if you fit one of these by the front door:

overs.png.90300ea5195cd9954b145b5c90c46422.png

If you are in the UK you could also hang a couple of St Georges flags from your upstairs windows because in the UK nothing says "Welcome" quite like the flag of St George....

Like the three legs of man then? I think you mean England. Not many flags of St. George elsewhere in the UK. People are entitled to fly their flag, indeed they should be encouraged to do so. The more the merrier.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

This seems quite alien to me. It suggests impertinently that I am too gaga to wipe my feet properly on going indoors. I would contend that if you have such eccentric requirements for entry to your residence, the onus should be on you to issue overshoes to protect your carpets rather than to make demands of your visitors that could lead to the problems alluded to in my previous post on the subject. It seems to me that overshoes would also overcome the more unpleasant ramifications of requiring a gathering to remove their footwear. It still seems anally pretentious in the extreme. I'd be stifling the urge to quip something like: "I'm not putting my socks on your mangy flea-bitten carpets."

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p/3310032?cm_mmc=Google-_-pla_gen_cleaning-and-catering_gosc-_-cleaning-and-catering-_-3310032&gclid=CN-gi7Cd1-ICFQaedwoduMIKsQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Where was the demand? I suggested that it was courteous for the visitor to ask if the visited would prefer them to remove their shoes.......we would never demand, maybe pleasantly ask someone to remove their shoes if they were obviously dirty, muddy or smelly............ 

9 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Where was the demand? I suggested that it was courteous for the visitor to ask if the visited would prefer them to remove their shoes.......we would never demand, maybe pleasantly ask someone to remove their shoes if they were obviously dirty, muddy or smelly............ 

Ah, well that is a different matter. Of course, if the shoes are a disgrace then the boorish behaviour has moved to the other side of the equation. All it needs is civility on both sides, really. Just common sense and common courtesy.

It does remind me of an episode many years ago which I may have related on here before. Mrs W had a close friend when we were all in our early 20s, and this friend had caught the eye of what might be termed a man of substance who lived with his parents in a large country house. Fit, handsome and clearly from a moneyed family, he was potentially quite a catch. The young lady was excited at her prospects with him and even more so when the dashing suitor invited her home to meet mum and dad.

On the appointed evening, she had made every effort to impress with her appearance and was sitting in the large and luxurious lounge when she thought she caught a whiff of something, while simultaneously glancing down at her shoe. To her profound horror she realised that she had acquired a thick, juicy turd which was perfectly speared halfway up her right stiletto heel. The lady of the house seemed understanding as she brought a box of tissues, wordlessly handing them over while averting both her gaze and her nose. The night passed off as well as could be expected under the circumstances, but after returning her home he never called again. Must have seen it as a bad omen. The vicissitudes of romance.

If anyone had the temerity to ask me to remove my shoes prior to entering their sanctum, I’d cheerfully beat them to death with said shoes and then gleefully smear their blood off my hand-stitched Goodyear welted leather beauties all over their cream carpets. The very idea! 

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

but what would you do with your shoes?

Leave them in the porch/inside the front door .

I take my shoes off when I come in and do the same at friends houses where they have nice carpets or if in their culture  it's the norm ( a polite gesture)

I wouldn't tell folk to remove their shoes at mine but many do .

When I lived in central London I learned that it was easier to remove my shoes than spend time cleaning dog excrement  off the hall carpet and stairs :angry:.

House guests are always provided with slippers  ( sort that are provided in hotels and spars ) which they are at liberty to take with them when they depart.

Given the responses from posters I'm unlikely to make an open invite to forum members around to mine :D

That said if I'm invited into a house where it would be prudent to wipe your feet on the way out I keep my shoes on and leave asap:lol:

:flowers:

Just to follow up. I always take my shoes off entering my own home. But I wouldn't ask others to do so, even though I'd love it if they did. I just think it would be rude to ask them. Surely it's my responsibility to ensure the carpet is regularly cleaned?

56 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Just to follow up. I always take my shoes off entering my own home. But I wouldn't ask others to do so, even though I'd love it if they did. I just think it would be rude to ask them. Surely it's my responsibility to ensure the carpet is regularly cleaned?

Do you get many guests TJ?

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:
2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do you get many guests TJ?

Just ones in long white coats.

As in the song by NapoleonX1V

Archived