Do you allways take your shoes off when you walk into someones house ?

LightBulb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid growing up in Manchester, we never took shoes off when going into a house - it just wasn't culturally expected.  Then when I spent 11 years in Canada, everyone took their shoes off when going into houses because Canadian weather is shite, and if you didn't take them off you would be tracking snow and dirt in all the time.  In fact, everything about Canada is shite which I why I ended up back on the IOM, but that's another story.  So having returned from the aforesaid Shiteland, I found to my surprise that culturally things had moved on while I was away, and now it is much more the expected thing to take your shoes off when going into a house, especially if they have cream coloured carpets, except of course for people like the Queen or Donald Trump who probably don't bother because nobody would dare tell them off if they tracked mud into the house, except maybe Meghan Markle.  I can see her having a thing or two to say about it.    

9 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Exactly my sentiment. I've no time for people that far up their own ass.

Maybe some people don't want dog shit etc trampled into their several thousand pound new carpets! 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Maybe some people don't want dog shit etc trampled into their several thousand pound new carpets! 

What about being careful not to walk in dog shit etc. and wiping your feet on the doormat as you enter? I think I would prefer such wiped soles on my carpet to taking a chance that someone has godawful stinking feet like rotting hunks of flesh hanging from their ankles, the evidence of which would linger in the room long after they departed. Cannot abide sweaty feet and some sufferers are blissfully unaware.

11 hours ago, woolley said:

What about being careful not to walk in dog shit etc. and wiping your feet on the doormat as you enter? I think I would prefer such wiped soles on my carpet to taking a chance that someone has godawful stinking feet like rotting hunks of flesh hanging from their ankles, the evidence of which would linger in the room long after they departed. Cannot abide sweaty feet and some sufferers are blissfully unaware.

You need to modify your guest list to those who shower at least once a week whether they need to or not!

We have sisal on hallway, stairs, landings etc which is not exactly easy on the feet!

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

it's just courteous to ask if folk would prefer that you remove outdoor shoes before tramping over their carpets.

This seems quite alien to me. It suggests impertinently that I am too gaga to wipe my feet properly on going indoors. I would contend that if you have such eccentric requirements for entry to your residence, the onus should be on you to issue overshoes to protect your carpets rather than to make demands of your visitors that could lead to the problems alluded to in my previous post on the subject. It seems to me that overshoes would also overcome the more unpleasant ramifications of requiring a gathering to remove their footwear. It still seems anally pretentious in the extreme. I'd be stifling the urge to quip something like: "I'm not putting my socks on your mangy flea-bitten carpets."

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p/3310032?cm_mmc=Google-_-pla_gen_cleaning-and-catering_gosc-_-cleaning-and-catering-_-3310032&gclid=CN-gi7Cd1-ICFQaedwoduMIKsQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

You need to modify your guest list to those who shower at least once a week whether they need to or not!

It can be a problem even to those who wash them twice a day. I had a couple of uncles who were so cursed and worked with a bloke years ago who was known universally as "Steve the Feet". He gave me a sore throat in the office even with his shoes ON.

Archived