We're moving to the Island !

Crypto Dave

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

You keep mentioning the extra cost of everything here, compared to where? and if it bothers you enough to keep mentioning it, why come?

Its not me that is mentioning the extra cost of everything here, other posters are just telling what to expect

and so i respond to them, why wouldn't i?  it is interesting to me

also, from the OP,  We are looking for somewhere to rent, but we have two dogs, which is the tricky bit. Hence the reason for this post in the first place 

We prefer to rent first, only because we don't know the island, but if we can't find a suitable rental in time, i will just have to buy a place 

because we are moving to the Island , one way or another (Rental or Purchase) . 

Edited by Crypto Dave

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@Crypto Dave

Are you aware you’ll need a work permit if you, or partner decide to work.

Really?  even though we are both English, born in England and have UK Passports?  

(Not that we are looking to work there, and, if we ever did decide to,  we would set up a corporation, and work under that

Edited by Crypto Dave

9 minutes ago, Crypto Dave said:

Really?  even though we are both English, born in England and have UK Passports?  

(Not that we are looking to work there, and, if we ever did decide to,  we would set up a corporation, and work under that

Yes, and working for your own company also requires a work permit.

@Crypto Dave

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/drivers-and-vehicles/

https://www.gov.im/categories/working-in-the-isle-of-man/work-permits/

btw, boasting about your wealth wont make you popular, here or generally on Island.

There’s a derogatory term dating back to the 60’s for that. You’d be a “when I”.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, Crypto Dave said:

ok, all good to know, did not know that

It's just a formality though. Anyone showing any ingenuity which might contribute to paying their pensions for them will have government officials all over you like a bad rash.

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

A lot of the saving in Spain is wiped out by the significantly bigger standing charge but that is dependent of the potencia you need.

this is very true, the potencia i have ( and need)  makes for some epic energy bills  ( inc consumption of course) in the summer months

On 8/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, Crypto Dave said:

Hello, My partner and myself currently live in southern Spain, we are looking to move to the island within the next few months ( Timeline: say November 2019 to March 2020 ) .i'd prefer to rent first because i dont know the island and therefore dont really know where we would want to finally settle ( we only want to rent for say 6 months to 1 year , then we would look to buy). The thing is we have two completely house (and garden)  trained large "Spanish Mastin" Dogs  but unlike Spain, it seems the island follows the UK with regards to pets ( ie they are a bit of a no,no).  When you tick "pets accepted" on the Agent's websites, most of the listings disappear . lol 

if we cant find anything to rent, then i guess we would have to buy something just to get us on the island.  

We need a larger detached property with garage(s) and a big(ish) garden/land etc

Budget:  £1000 to £2500 pcm       

If anyone knows of anything coming up in near or distant future please get in touch

we would even consider some kind of to "rent to buy" deal if it helps,  ( sale price would have to be realistic though, like approx 30% off some of the current inflated "asking prices" i've seen ) 

just looking to get this thread going now in the Summer of 2019 ......

Try asking in the Isle of Man Facebook groups (e.g. "Isle of Man What Where When" .....). You may find a private let which will likely be better value and more flexible than going through a letting agency / estate agent. 

When I moved to the island I brought two large dogs, got a super 6 month let - nice house where the owners were totally happy with our dogs because they were dog owners themselves. Can't say that the agent made it easy, but I pushed and overcame the agent's default "No Pets, No Smokers" policy.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, Crypto Dave said:

So the move to the Island is motivated by the tax situation...

If that's your motivation I really wouldn't bother. The fact is public services cost money.

If you want to move over here, not work and can afford to pay more in rent than most people earn, then you can well afford to pay a realistic amount in tax.

If you decide you want to move here for the bikes or because you like the place, you'd be made most welcome. 

I just think it would be better for your integrity and self respect if you chose your new home by more virtuous criteria than where requires its poor to subside you the most. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chris C said:

If that's your motivation I really wouldn't bother. The fact is public services cost money.

If you want to move over here, not work and can afford to pay more in rent than most people earn, then you can well afford to pay a realistic amount in tax.

If you decide you want to move here for the bikes or because you like the place, you'd be made most welcome. 

I just think it would be better for your integrity and self respect if you chose your new home by more virtuous criteria than where requires its poor to subside you the most. 

a couple of folk on here and others n PM's have said  " you have to be a bit thick-skinned"  to be on the MF

I guess i am, because i will engage your post  ( even though you are trolling here/me )

1. My "motivation" is all mine for moving here and of course i know that public services cost money.  The Gov will do ok by  me by way of "consumption tax" (VAT and other taxes) . ie whatever i do, even moving here , the Gov will get their share.  I did not set the tax rates/criteria up for this country and everyone is free to benefit from them, the Gov is looking for ways to make up the deficit. Why? because the IOM is not the tourist centre that it once was and it will never be again,   airline travel then low-cost airline travel saw to that.  Hence they are changing the face of the island. You only have to look at the financial and online services based here to see the "changing face" of the island.   (sidebar:  are you sending similar "messages" to the banks, and other industries that have settled here ? )  sidebar2:  should the Island be  back as in  its "heyday" of pre war times ???

2. So yes i do want to move to the Island and no, i don't have to work  but i will have to operate within the prescribed tax rules ( like everyone else)  - You need to face the fact that the IOM Gov has set the island up as a low-cost tax entity . it has been done this way for a reason , they "need" to attract people to the island , whether you like it or not, its the future. If i stay where i am, i will pay tax to the Spanish Gov (then the Island gets nothing from me), or i could not do that. Afterall,  its my choice to stay or move away from here.  I may well, after i have settled on the Island, decide to startup a business ( Actually, there is a big chance of that happening), in which case i would need employees ( Island employees)   now i know  that's of little interest to you as you would prefer me and others like of me not to come here,  but maybe others on the Island would like the opportunity and the employment.

3.  Yes i am a biker, been riding nigh-on 40 years now and the TT is a unique event and for it to be on my doorstep, so to speak, is just epic !

4.  What you think about what i should or shouldn't do as regards to where i live is of no interest to me,  my original post did not solicit an answer  as to whether i should move to the island or not. i had already decided that i (we) would.   As to the comment "  if you chose your new home by more virtuous criteria than where requires its poor to subside you the most. "   you might want to take that up with the Government (they made the rules)  if you believe for any moment that me coming to the island will in anyway adversely affect those good folk you mentioned. i actually think it will be a net benefit for the Gov/Island. Why?  because i wont take anything from the Gov. The Gov will get more from me in the short term, and possibly a lot more in the medium term.          

i trust the above will clear up your mis-understanding of..hmmm... well.. all of your points.   

Edited by Crypto Dave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, John Wright said:

It used to be said IoM had highest car ownership per head of population or mile of road of anywhere in Europe.

And it was equally said that if all motorized vehicles were included, there were more vehicles than people on the Island. Does anyone know if this was ever true and whether it is so today?