We're moving to the Island !

Crypto Dave

Hello, My partner and myself currently live in southern Spain, we are looking to move to the island within the next few months ( Timeline: say November 2019 to March 2020 ) .i'd prefer to rent first because i dont know the island and therefore dont really know where we would want to finally settle ( we only want to rent for say 6 months to 1 year , then we would look to buy). We have two completely house (and garden)  trained large  Dogs.  

Edited by Crypto Dave

Rent and stay for a 6 month winter before you decide to stay and buy.

you need to see if you can cope with:

traaie dy liooar - like manana, but with much less urgency

cancelled flights

cancelled boats

delayed Mail, due to cancelled planes

empty supermarket shelves due to cancelled boats

180 days of horizontal rain

public transport cancellations and road closures due to three snowflakes

Amazon and ebay purchases not being available due to increased courier costs, or being sent, at extra costs, by Hermes and being perpetually delayed

everything costing more due to transport costs

the most expensive gas, oil, electricity, petrol, air and sea fares you can imagine

I exaggerate, but not a lot

• Like 2

Yes.  But I still like it here anyway.  Tip when buying things online here: put your address as "Isle of Man, United Kingdom" because even though it's technically incorrect, it saves an awful lot of problems with postage and suppliers refusing to deliver "outside the UK".

• Like 4

Gawd... feel the negativity!

Where’s work and what’s your fancy? In Douglas with everything close or out in the villages with daily necessities but a weekly shop and a longer commute.  

No where is far. Don’t ignore places like Port Saint Mary or Castletown. Tiny but self contained and a wonderful coastal environment - yes there will be rain and wind but don’t discount the joy of getting wrapped up and relishing it!

Spanish Head in a gale is an awesome place. 

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, display name said:

Spain likes you,you should stay there

Correct Spain does like me (and to a point i like Spain,  i hate what they do to their animals though, the worst part of living here apart from the heat in the Summer)

However Spain like the UK  has some epic tax rates (CGT)  that i would rather not be involved with 

So the move to the Island is motivated by the tax situation...

but i love Bikes, have been riding since i was 16   so thats another bonus

On 8/2/2019 at 10:41 AM, Chinahand said:

Gawd... feel the negativity!

Where’s work and what’s your fancy? In Douglas with everything close or out in the villages with daily necessities but a weekly shop and a longer commute.  

No where is far. Don’t ignore places like Port Saint Mary or Castletown. Tiny but self contained and a wonderful coastal environment - yes there will be rain and wind but don’t discount the joy of getting wrapped up and relishing it!

"commuting" is not an issue,  ( as an aside - i've often driven from the UK to Southern Spain . all 1500 miles of it, so driving anywhere on the Island, given its size is no big deal)

mentally, to keep active though,  its a thought...

Edited by Crypto Dave

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Rent and stay for a 6 month winter before you decide to stay and buy.  - Yes thats our preferred option but as i said, we have two dogs, and like the UK< dogs are "seen as a problem" 

traaie dy liooar - like manana, but with much less urgency  - yep used to all of that here in Spain

cancelled flights  - ok, not planning on flying anywhere  much 

cancelled boats  - ditto

delayed Mail, due to cancelled planes - hmm ok - the Spanish postal service is a complete joke

empty supermarket shelves due to cancelled boats - ok, that can be a pain- why are they cancelled? Weather?

180 days of horizontal rain  - yep, that will be a shock to the system

public transport cancellations and road closures due to three snowflakes  - lol

Amazon and ebay purchases not being available due to increased courier costs, or being sent, at extra costs, by Hermes and being perpetually delayed - yep ok , expecting that

everything costing more due to transport costs - ditto

the most expensive gas, oil, electricity, petrol, air and sea fares you can imagine  - No way is electric as expensive as here in SPain - the rest ok, have to except it

I exaggerate, but not a lot  - thanks for your assessment 

33 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Spanish Head is something entirely different to what your current understanding of it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Crypto Dave said:

7F2F1B8B-3368-4014-BB24-19105AEDED1D.png

I was only getting in the jaundiced stereotypical objections before someone else did.

I have a home in rural Catalonia, so I’m comparing like with like cost and service wise. Yes, Spanish post and courier delivery in rural areas is a joke. 

Boat cancellation is a mix of weather, tide, Harbour silting in Heysham, fog and mechanical.

Actually I wouldn’t have my permanent base, home, work place, anywhere but the IoM. I love it. Many who blow in don’t, they moan and leave after a couple of winters.

The list I’ve provided is the list of the most common complaints. 

You will use planes and the boats, you’ll get stir crazy if you don’t get off the rock. It adds to holiday costs, or the cost of an ikea/conforama/ Bauhaus/Leroy Merlin shopping trip.

But the rock is beautiful.

Oh, rates will be much more than you currently pay in IBI and metered water ( unless you consume on an industrial scale - some idiot ( probably me ) left the orchard irrigation system on increased flow in April and we consumed enough to push into the top charging band - ouch ) and electronic goods are cheaper than Spain, places like Media Market or MiroMiro in Spain are clueless, it’s all standard pricing here, but no discounters like in U.K. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crypto Dave said:

we dont work,  financially dont need to 

"commuting" is not an issue,  ( as an aside - i've often driven from the UK to Southern Spain . all 1500 miles of it, so driving anywhere on the Island, given its size is no big deal)

mentally, to keep active though,  its a thought...

with that in mind  i might be interested in setting up some kind of "crypto currency" related training business later on after we arrive... 

been reading up as much i can about the different parts of the Island , so as to areas, dont really know at this time

In general , we like space,,   the more the better 

will probably drive over in early october for a week to see everything and absorb 

I usually drive to Catalonia, Douglas - Heysham - Portsmouth/Plymouth - Bilbao/Santander.

Next trip I’m doing Douglas - Dublin - Cork Ringaskiddy - Santander and return via Belfast. 

Unfortunately the boats only go IoM to Ireland April - September.

If you settle, and you may well do, you’ll soon adopt the Manx concept of distance where Douglas to Ramsey is an expedition to the far ends of the earth needing major military planning, laying in of supplies, and only undertaken rarely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Plenty of rental accommodation here and you can probably strike a good bargain on a long lease in the sort of bracket you mention. I'd rent for two years before you commit. Prices aren't going upwards in the short to medium future so don't be fooled by London property price inflation. This is a rock in the Irish Sea. Fantastic little place in so many ways but you have to live here a while to learn the drawbacks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Plenty of rental accommodation here and you can probably strike a good bargain on a long lease in the sort of bracket you mention. I'd rent for two years before you commit. Prices aren't going upwards in the short to medium future so don't be fooled by London property price inflation. This is a rock in the Irish Sea. Fantastic little place in so many ways but you have to live here a while to learn the drawbacks. 

Yep, i've seen many props to rent and as i have said, its the preferred option

but

as we have two dogs most are then "not suitable" according to the agents 

and just like the UK,  you don't appear to be easily able to rent a "large family sized home " if you have pets  :(

so if anything comes up rental wise, that is suitable , please let us know

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Rent and stay for a 6 month winter before you decide to stay and buy.

traaie dy liooar - like manana, but with much less urgency

cancelled flights

cancelled boats

delayed Mail, due to cancelled planes

empty supermarket shelves due to cancelled boats

180 days of horizontal rain

public transport cancellations and road closures due to three snowflakes

Amazon and ebay purchases not being available due to increased courier costs, or being sent, at extra costs, by Hermes and being perpetually delayed

everything costing more due to transport costs

the most expensive gas, oil, electricity, petrol, air and sea fares you can imagine

I exaggerate, but not a lot

You're not selling it, John. The Isle of Man, where you can, remember.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I usually drive to Catalonia, Douglas - Heysham - Portsmouth/Plymouth - Bilbao/Santander.

Next trip I’m doing Douglas - Dublin - Cork Ringaskiddy - Santander and return via Belfast. 

Unfortunately the boats only go IoM to Ireland April - September.

If you settle, and you may well do, you’ll soon adopt the Manx concept of distance where Douglas to Ramsey is an expedition to the far ends of the earth needing major military planning, laying in of supplies, and only undertaken rarely.

We spend a lot of time in Spain too. Never done the Cork route before and it sounds attractive. Could you fill us in on the experience? Sounds like a lot less driving. How does the cost compare? Thanks, John.

Good luck, Crypto. Ignore the negativity. It's a national pastime.