Extinction Rebellion, Yessir!

Manx Bean

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/capitals-commuters-urged-to-walk-to-work/ - my thoughts? Heap of shite. There, said it.

So, where am I meant to park my Jag? And then, what happens if it is windy or God forbid, raining? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a stroll along the Prom after I have partaken of my M&S finest buttie, but walk to the office? Are they off their tits?

If this Extinction Rebellion lot want something to do, they can give DOI a hand to get the Prom finished on time, so I don't have to queue on the Prom twice a day whilst getting to work and back, causing my supercharged 4.8L engine to possibly overheat.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its quite interesting in a way as I think even if we all were not here the effect/change on the climate would not be that great, we are not the biggest polluters by a long stretch! Not that means we should not try to do "our bit" though. :)

I would like to know however with the "pink boat" protests the other month how many of the students who were there (it was holiday time iirc) , how did they get home and how did they get back to uni/college etc ?

I think the biggest polluters are China / India / US currently. With that in mind, I look forward to seeing some of the protesters and their boat in Beijing, on the White House lawn or in Times Square and in Mumbai / New Dehli , and to see the authorities reactions in each of those countries to said protesters.

Same with erm 'celebs' telling us to not leave TV's on standby etc, at the same time as flying about in private jets, worse when they 'fly in' just to tell us that! Aviation engines do cause pollution, carbon dioxide and methane iirc. Remember also where those gasses are appearing, right up 'there' already.

It was interesting also to see that ban in London the other month for older diesel's if I remember correctly. Black Cabs and Bus's were exempt ( ! ) as we all know both are a very rare sight in London! lols.

I can't take the UK govt that seriously upon it when they are still planning that Airport expansion anyway. Air travel ought to be reduced not increased, especially these days with modern communication tech, people don't really *need* to travel that much or that far I think, can't be that many jobs that require worldwide travel that often surely.

Before Boris took over the other day (over here obviously!) I noted during at least a couple of news clips the Environment minister at that time (Mr Gove) being ferried around in a RangeRover rather than their more regular Jags some other ministers used. Something slightly ironic about that actually, the Jags are or were derv powered.

The above is not meant in a negative way! I do actually recycle a shedload of things. AFAIK I'm one of the few people where I actually live who bothered to get a garden waste recycling bin as you have to ask for them now. :)

Environmental concerns are real and we must do more to protect Mother Earth but sadly there are a lot of individuals and groups with an agenda who have jumped on the bandwagon and are using it to promote themselves and their agendas. Sadly there are many unwitting pawns who are well-meaning but have fallen under the wing of these agendas. On the other hand, I agree that people who live in Douglas and work in Douglas and are capable of walking but do not do so should stop being silly and start doing so. Not only will it reduce pollution and traffic congestion, and help save the planet; it will also mean people become healthier and more active, thereby reducing health service costs further down the line (which are a massive part of the annual budget).

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

I would like to know however with the "pink boat" protests the other month how many of the students who were there (it was holiday time iirc) , how did they get home and how did they get back to uni/college etc ?

they towed the boat with a dirty big old 4x4.........

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

It's shocking when people promote their own agendas above the perceived greater good

Yes, it is; especially when they disguise their own agenda as "the greater good". Far too many self-promoting cretins in Manx politics as it is. What we need in the Isle of Man is not yet more political parties, or yet more brainless attention seekers jumping on bandwagons to promote themselves in order to kickstart their political careers. Everything is about people looking to advance themselves. We don't need that. What we really need is ideology. Without ideology, it's all just circle jerks and vacuous horse manure. We need to have an ideological revolution. 

5 minutes ago, Ganesh said:

Environmental concerns are real and we must do more to protect Mother Earth but sadly there are a lot of individuals and groups with an agenda who have jumped on the bandwagon and are using it to promote themselves and their agendas. Sadly there are many unwitting pawns who are well-meaning but have fallen under the wing of these agendas

Oh I do agree. :) As I say I do "my bit" , without wanting to" blow my own trumpet" I think I don't do too badly on this score.

The aviation issue does actually bug me as there is a lot of misinfo about and as I say while there's even talk of expansion then I can't take them seriously. It ought to be cut in half at least if not reduced to a tenth of its current. I realise you could say that for large countries it is near essential to fly say N to S in Austrailia or E/W in the US, I can understand this, however the 'answer' here is probably not a flight every half hour or whatever, should be one or two a day, bit like how the Sunday bus service used to be (is it still like that? , I walk everywhere) as in instead of 15-20 minutes it was one an hour or two hours.

Apparenltly there's 87K flights in the US alone. Talking of lifestyle to be slightly fair the V6 is more popular now I think than the V8 so they are slowly adjusting I suppose, but taking too long. As I mentioned previously I suspect if half of Western Europe was just "not there" the rate of climate change would not be hugely reduced. On a positive note I did see a documentary a while ago, well part of it at least missed some of it where China was doing quite a bit towards solar panels and renewable energy. I'm not sure what their situation is on coal fired power stations either.

Elec cars not ideal either depending on where the electricity is coming from, in some cases you're merely transferring the pollution somewhere else. These hybrid batteries are quite damaging to make too from what I understand. From what I can recall here (I'm writing all this without research) the cadmium has to come from one place either Canada or Eastern Europe, then it has to be shipped somewhere else in Europe to have some kind of process done to it, then its off to Japan to turn it into a Hybrid Battery, finally said battery is then shipped to wherever in the world the production line actually is!

Then there's also the question of too many new cars being made too, afaik 90% of the pollution is caused at production time equivalent to anything between 60K and 150K miles worth of use. No one is suggesting no new cars, just a reduction in production. The worst offenders here by a long shot are not the "change every 3 years" fleet buyers (but that's bad enough) but those that change every six months or less , large hire companies perhaps.

Summary: The problem I've found is most people are up to it and happy to do their bit until they realise it will effect them / their lifestyle etc then its usually a different story unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, woody2 said:

extinction rebellion..........

You know, that does not surprise me at all somehow. :D

As I say previously I think aside from some genuine concerned people and the 'will join any protest' groups, a lot of the students will unfortunately of quietly forgot all about it when they got home.

I would still be interested to know (talking of home) those students that lived at home what their parent(s) had regarding transport and how said students got home from the protest. No doubt some have some nasty polluting 4x4's. Not that there is a great deal wrong with this, with some forethought, as in not buying a new one.

Would of been fun in a way to see some at a bus stop and ask them what they were waiting for then telling them the bus was cancelled as they did not want any environmental damage lol. Sorry but you'll just have to walk/cycle the 120 odd miles home to Bristol (I just picked a place at random) as we can't let you use a bus/train as you protested about the damage it causes.

^ The last paragraph is in jest btw, but the first and second paragraphs are likely true.

5 minutes ago, Ganesh said:

Yes, it is; especially when they disguise their own agenda as "the greater good". Far too many self-promoting cretins in Manx politics as it is. What we need in the Isle of Man is not yet more political parties, or yet more brainless attention seekers jumping on bandwagons to promote themselves in order to kickstart their political careers. Everything is about people looking to advance themselves. We don't need that. What we really need is ideology. Without ideology, it's all just circle jerks and vacuous horse manure. We need to have an ideological revolution. 

Do you know I had the impression you regarded the Masters of the Universe, Big Swinging Dick ideology as already in place

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Do you know I had the impression you regarded the Masters of the Universe, Big Swinging Dick ideology as already in place 

There is no ideology in place on this island, except perhaps a loose alliance or convergence of various interests pursuing unenlightened self-interest.

Archived