Vehicles damaged on voyage

hissingsid

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it seems they were tied up correctly but the bar they were tied to let go of the boat,  so whether you'd tied them yourself or racket staff had done it if the boat starts dropping to bits  there isn't much you could do about it.

that's comforting...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It didn't sink did it?

It "sat a little low in the water" for a while after a disagreement with another ship in the Mersey, didn't it?

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

There was a geezer on the glorious nations station  this morning describing it as the voyage from hell - presumably he's never watched titanic. Reckons it sailed in a force 8. Impressive stuff, considering they dont sail the ben in a force 5 come wintertime

it may be that under usual operating circumstances they would have cancelled the boats but with hoards of tourists trying to get home on time they took a chance and sailed anyway to keep the schedule up.  it almost worked except for a few bent cars and bikes.

27 minutes ago, WTF said:

it may be that under usual operating circumstances they would have cancelled the boats but with hoards of tourists trying to get home on time they took a chance and sailed anyway to keep the schedule up. 

There can be no 'taking chances'. Limits are limits are limits. They're there for a reason. 

Failure to recognise or respect limits are how incidents like this happen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx2_Flight_7100

Sailing or not sailing used to be at the Masters discretion and in the old days with the sturdier boats, more passengers and less freight vehiclewise they used to sail, usually.   Now it is still down to the Masters discretion but the insurers have tight conditions which have to be considered, I am sure cattle can not be transported if it is over a force 5.   I am sure all the old Manxies like myself have sailed in atrocious conditions and all have tales to tell !!!!

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Sailing or not sailing used to be at the Masters discretion and in the old days with the sturdier boats, more passengers and less freight vehiclewise they used to sail, usually.   Now it is still down to the Masters discretion but the insurers have tight conditions which have to be considered, I am sure cattle can not be transported if it is over a force 5.   I am sure all the old Manxies like myself have sailed in atrocious conditions and all have tales to tell !!!!

I think that the wind speed/force is an issue, but its direction is critical and the sea state more than anything else determines whether the master can sail legally (or ought to sail for safety reasons).  For example, the Manannan's licence as a ferry requires that she cannot sail if the sea state exceeds a 3m swell.

Archived