Vehicles damaged on voyage

hissingsid

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

do the riders tie their own bikes or is it racket staff??  i thought staff. unless the staff hand out rope to all riders??   i find it hard to believe that 6 riders all fucked up in the same way, but easy to believe a useless cunt member of the racket staff  couldn't be arsed. to do a proper job. 

I always thought it was the Steam Packet staff and I thought in past occurrences that they paid for the damage.  After all (unlike putting on your handbrake) the bikers can't be expected to be experts in the most appropriate way to secure your vehicle on a particular vessel on a particular voyage.  There's also the problem  that an unsecured bike might cause damage to other vehicles.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I always thought it was the Steam Packet staff and I thought in past occurrences that they paid for the damage.  After all (unlike putting on your handbrake) the bikers can't be expected to be experts in the most appropriate way to secure your vehicle on a particular vessel on a particular voyage.  There's also the problem  that an unsecured bike might cause damage to other vehicles.

They are expected to secure their bikes on North Sea Ferries...

Not a legal person but wouldn't the IOM Steam Packets terms and conditions mean that they are not responsible under any circumstances .

"The Company accepts no responsibility for any vehicular accidents which occur on or around the vessel howsoever caused." 

You have to say that you have read the T&C s before you can get a ticket on line but not sure how this works when you buy from the shop or by phone .

1 hour ago, WTF said:

what are they expected to do on the steam racket?

Going on what's happened, leave it to the crew then wait for the damage. In all the time travelling back for Germany via Rotterdam, I can't recall any/many bikes falling over due to tardiness. If you secure your own bike you are going to make sure its secure

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Not a legal person but wouldn't the IOM Steam Packets terms and conditions mean that they are not responsible under any circumstances .

"The Company accepts no responsibility for any vehicular accidents which occur on or around the vessel howsoever caused." 

You have to say that you have read the T&C s before you can get a ticket on line but not sure how this works when you buy from the shop or by phone .

It’s covered by Unfair Contract Terms legislation. They can’t  unreasonably exclude if it’s their fault. So they can’t be held responsible for unexpected heavy sea, freak wave, but if the master says ok to sail and damage occurs because they didn’t secure properly, then the clause could be excluded

My grandson has just been repeatedly ill on the fast craft this morning (young toddler), the reason his parents went on the fast craft rather than the Ben £600.00 return fare on the Ben !

Still I suppose Skelly and co have to get funds from wherever they can !!

36 minutes ago, woody2 said:

if you mean out of hull.....loads are secured after the deck has been cleared of people......they remove just before they dock......

Is that a recent thing then. It was about five years ago I last went. Prior to that twice a year and we always secured our own bikes. Crew supplied ropes if needed but we carried straps

25 minutes ago, asitis said:

My grandson has just been repeatedly ill on the fast craft this morning (young toddler), the reason his parents went on the fast craft rather than the Ben £600.00 return fare on the Ben !

Still I suppose Skelly and co have to get funds from wherever they can !!

I don't think you can blame the Steam Packet for your grandson being seasick...:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I don't think you can blame the Steam Packet for your grandson being seasick...:rolleyes:

No I wasn't, but in the spirit of the thread re spending buckets on a new grandstand, I think it is time Skelly and his team of utter clowns did something with public money for the populace, and stopped fucking around with money which could benefit everyone who lives here and pays taxes. i.e. make travel cheaper, sort out the health service and education stop the fantasy shit and run the fucking country !!

Sorry need coffee  LOL !!

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

No I wasn't, but in the spirit of the thread re spending buckets on a new grandstand, I think it is time Skelly and his team of utter clowns did something with public money for the populace, and stopped fucking around with money which could benefit everyone who lives here and pays taxes. i.e. make travel cheaper, sort out the health service and education stop the fantasy shit and run the fucking country !!

Sorry need coffee  LOL !!

That's a bucket list and a half mate. The chances of them pleasing the masses instead of the minorities remain very thin indeed. Just for once it would be nice to see some of these feckers keep their pre-election promises to their constituents...

52 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Is that a recent thing then. It was about five years ago I last went. Prior to that twice a year and we always secured our own bikes. Crew supplied ropes if needed but we carried straps

always have........ the main crew are to busy with the docking/undocking so always strap after setting sail.......

Archived