Vehicles damaged on voyage

hissingsid

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WTF said:
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I saw some photographs, the bikes didn't seem to have been very well secured, a lot of damage to some of them by the looks of it.

that will be the government involvement making its second mark then.

To be fair I seem to remember similar instances in the past under different ownership.  If the bikes aren't stowed and secured right there can be a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

that will be the government involvement making its second mark then.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair I seem to remember similar instances in the past under different ownership.  If the bikes aren't stowed and secured right there can be a lot of problems.

I travel either on the Ben or Mannanan every month, and from experience, I watch bikers who are the first ones to board. It is their responsibility to make sure it’s properly strapped up, like it’s my responsibility to make sure my vehicle is in gear with the handbrake fully engaged. 

WTF - the cynicism in me says that IOM would like FOM visitors with something to remember the island with - in this case damaged motorcycles, inconvenience and to some great hardship ( if the motorcycle is their main means of transport). Sadly it doesn’t do the reputation of the FOM or the island much good either - sour taste at the end of a holiday, where you ripped off from the moment you get on the ferry to the moment you board the ferry to go back home.

49 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A bit sad as some of these classic bikes will be difficult to locate parts for...

Wemoto.com I believe sponsor Jurby Day - I’m sure they have plenty of spare parts. Meanwhile we have a load of spare parts sitting in Tynpotwald.

I cant help be feel it must be quite difficult to strap down/secure a motorcycle on a ferry/boat in the timescale they have. I've secured my own bike in a van and that took a good 10 minutes until I was happy it was secure. Perhaps there should be more ground anchor points but if you strap every motorcycle down properly it would probably take an hour to secure a whole ferry full and that would be with a few people strapping them all down!

Other than refuse bikes if its going to be a rough sailing or having purpose built chocks for motorcycles I can't see how this can easily be resolved.

Edited to add : I do feel sorry for all the owners involved, its not nice seeing your pride and joy on the floor, I do hope the Steam Packet will come up with a plan to save this happening in future.

54 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I travel either on the Ben or Mannanan every month, and from experience, I watch bikers who are the first ones to board. It is their responsibility to make sure it’s properly strapped up, like it’s my responsibility to make sure my vehicle is in gear with the handbrake fully engaged. 

WTF - the cynicism in me says that IOM would like FOM visitors with something to remember the island with - in this case damaged motorcycles, inconvenience and to some great hardship ( if the motorcycle is their main means of transport). Sadly it doesn’t do the reputation of the FOM or the island much good either - sour taste at the end of a holiday, where you ripped off from the moment you get on the ferry to the moment you board the ferry to go back home.

do the riders tie their own bikes or is it racket staff??  i thought staff. unless the staff hand out rope to all riders??   i find it hard to believe that 6 riders all fucked up in the same way, but easy to believe a useless cunt member of the racket staff  couldn't be arsed. to do a proper job. 

37 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I do feel sorry for all the owners involved, its not nice seeing your pride and joy on the floor, I do hope the Steam Packet will come up with a plan to save this happening in future.

they have been trying to price motorcycles out of coming here for years so they are working on it.

Archived