Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

foxdaleliberationfront

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current Grandstand is not really fit for purpose and neither is the scoreboard. However, before significant sums of taxpayers money is committed to TT facilities there ought to be a full analysis of the return on the investment which is made public. It would be interesting to see what assumptions are being made about growth and the period of the return in relation to racing on the TT Course. Too few decisions about committing taxpayers money are made following a proper and transparent debate. 

34 minutes ago, joebean said:

The current Grandstand is not really fit for purpose and neither is the scoreboard. However, before significant sums of taxpayers money is committed to TT facilities there ought to be a full analysis of the return on the investment which is made public. It would be interesting to see what assumptions are being made about growth and the period of the return in relation to racing on the TT Course. Too few decisions about committing taxpayers money are made following a proper and transparent debate. 

I am ambivalent towards the TT and MGP, lots of people enjoy them I fully accept that, however, when it comes to the appropriation of taxpayers money to support a minority motorsport event for a maximum of four weeks a year, then careful consideration is needed when vital front line services are crying out for investment ! What I do know is assumptions about growth for all future planning here, are made with the benefit of turbocharged rose tinted glasses which has been proven time and time again ! Until the taxpayers start demanding a responsible attitude towards dwindling resources, then front line services will continue to suffer whilst the dreams of those in the starship enterprise are fulfilled !

I still want to know where all the money's coming from for all these projects and pipedreams. We're supposed to be in financial straits. That's why our taxes, charges and rates are relentlessly rising. Raiding reserves annually.

Yet we propose schemes costing long millions, Liverpool berth, cruise berths, promenades, Grandstands, bus and minibus fleets. Or am I missing something?

49 minutes ago, woody2 said:

didn't they just spend a fortune on buying the tent.........

They have no idea what constitutes a fortune ! money has no meaning to them I am not even sure if they inhabit the same earth as us mere mortals !! (taxpayers)

Skelly and the Starship Enterprise wish for a new grandstand and one of its reasoning for justification, is that it will be used for weddings and corporate events all year round.

Unless I am mistaken, I thought that many TT fans come to the island to get married, at various venues, including Castletown and Douglas Registry Office. So let’s knock this off the list as it’s an expensive reasoning. 

Secondly if the Starship Enterprise argue that the venue will be used as venue for Wedding receptions and other such events like dinners, again they are totally out of order, This function is taken up by the Hotels like the Sefton, Palace, Commis and Empress, and not forgetting the Claremont and there are other venues for receptions. I am sure these venues will be furious if they lose business to Government. Again many of these Hotels are funded by the taxpayer. It should also be noted of the uproar that occurred when IOMG helped its friends at the Sefton Group. I forgot to mention that we as tax payers are now going to be part funding the wages of kitchen staff in the hospitality industry. I can only be assumed and it’s not rocket science to say that the Starship Enterprise and Skelly are salivating at the thought of TT fans getting married on the island, and it’s obvious they want a piece of the action, destroying other businesses in the process, yet this whole department claims its creating jobs? 

What would Chris Robertshaw have to say if Government was stealing or depriving the Sefton Group and other Hotels of much needed business?

Will the new Hospitality Suite be used for Corporate, and Christmas parties, again depriving other business of opportunities? 

Thirdly, I understand that we currently have a ‘TT’ Hospitality Marquee at the Grandstand, Ive been told that it cost Government, £400,000. That’s a very expensive Marquee. Many would argue that its money frittered away, not a wise investment. But that’s the Civil Servants both in IOMG and the Starship Enterprise for you - lots of qualifications, but fcuk all common sense and living in the real world. It is quite obvious that zero thought, particularly as to who Government were wishing to compete with. 

A final and sobering thought - if this scheme is nodded through as with most things, due to our most useless Politicos having zero backbone, it will be amazing if it turns in a profit. After all can’t run the hospital catering and schools efficiently. Also if there are fatalities at any practices or races, it will leave a poor taste, celebrations, wining and dining!

I could go on with questions, same with other MF posters.

Archived