Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

foxdaleliberationfront

This little gem seems to have slipped out quietly! Captain Laurence Skelly and his crew on the Starship Enterprise want to build a new grandstand...

The only catch is (you guessed it) he wants us all to pay for it! And to quote Captain Skelly it will cost "a very significant figure". 

Lessons should have been learned from the Government being inadvertently lumbered with the horse trams with no prior public consultation.. before a single penny is spent on a new TT Grandstand there should be a referendum to see if the people of the Isle of Man want it to continue. 

That would also kill the argument dead once and for all - do the people of the Isle of Man really approve of the TT? 

Surely the motorsport mafia wouldn't shy away from that? 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he wants to spend millions on yet another new grandstand mainly for the hospitality side of things.

In my view is it is not needed and hopefully enough people will ensure it does not happen.

They need to be spending money on something to replace the deadly racing, not spending big bucks on facilities for free dinners for hangers on.

At £1000 per person for a day’s access to the VIP shed on Glencrutchery Road for TY fortnight and FoM fortnight, I would suggest Mr Skelly diverts the funds and pays for it out of the last three years’ profits.   

Cheeky bastard. 

The existing Grandstand is but 33 years old, perhaps the hospitality tent just isn't good enough for our great and good anymore. Just how much more do they think the TT has to grow?

Let's see some realistic supporting figures re. visiting attendance to justify this expenditure rather than the dreamed up numbers year after year and while they're at it let's have some proper debate.

This has been on Skellys and the Starship Enterprise wish list for ages. They want a replacement for the original grandstand only bigger and better, and another grandstand which incorporates the scoreboard across the road. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the intention is to pinch land from the cemetery to achieve this. There should be another thread on here. Sadly it will get voted through, it doesn’t matter about taste, decency or the respect for the dead, what Laurence wants, Laurence gets, and the other performing chimps will do anything for a banana. Tradition in the form of the Scouts operating the scoreboard will be ditched as I believe the scoreboard will be fully electronic.

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The existing Grandstand is but 33 years old, perhaps the hospitality tent just isn't good enough for our great and good anymore. Just how much more do they think the TT has to grow?

Let's see some realistic supporting figures re. visiting attendance to justify this expenditure rather than the dreamed up numbers year after year and while they're at it let's have some proper debate.

IOMG doesn’t do proper debate. It will be debated for all of 30 minutes before the ayes have it, the ayes have it. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they got another hospitality tent, if it’s taxpayers money, they will buy a 10000 person big tent. 

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Visitors are about 1/3 of what they were when I was  child. The event is not growing, it is changing. It is all about the hangers on, the great and good MHKs, the has been riders from the distant past, the media etc etc. The TT is only a shadow of what it used to be and does not merit this crazy change to the grandstand.

If it was a horse, it would be put down. 

27 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I really don’t see why they can’t see that this event is simply not growable. It’s a pipe dream to try to save visitor numbers by trying to grow an event which has had its day. And in effect literally by growing it they will ruin it for all the people who have made it the success it is. One year they will be sat in an enormous grandstand tucking into a huge buffet and knocking back the canapés when they will realize there are no Marshall’s to actually put the event on and no enthusiasts in the grandstand watching. And they probably won’t care one bit. Even the politician in charge of motorsport was apparently on holiday for the entire FoM so it’s clear that they don't actually care about sport of road racing otherwise they'd be arsed about turning up to support the minor event. But the focus really is all about smoozing people in business in big tens and getting their faces in the papers at TT Week where all the media attention is focused. They don’t actually care about the sport or the racing other than as a platform for their own publicity and as a means to spend our money. 

Bravo Sir! 

A couple of years ago I gave LK a business plan for some fairly minor remodeling at the back of the grandstand to improve the hospitality facilities, and turn the place into somewhere that could be used all year round as a destination eatery. Additionally it would have offered visitor tours, and a welcome centre. It could have been done for well under a million quid.

Until there is a clear picture of where the event is going, this needs to be put on hold. On the plus side, it would be money spent on island, rather than that £38m over in Liverpool for a new berth, the need for which is lost on me.

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

A couple of years ago I gave LK a business plan for some fairly minor remodeling at the back of the grandstand to improve the hospitality facilities, and turn the place into somewhere that could be used all year round as a destination eatery. Additionally it would have offered visitor tours, and a welcome centre. It could have been done for well under a million quid.

Until there is a clear picture of where the event is going, this needs to be put on hold. On the plus side, it would be money spent on island, rather than that £38m over in Liverpool for a new berth, the need for which is lost on me.

You can't be that naïve Derek, Skelly wants his name of a plaque... :rolleyes:

Archived