Bishopscourt up for sale..

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, because the Middle East has such progressive governments with cultures that don't drag society down and keep most of their populations stuck in the Bronze Age. Once the oil stops being exported, what are they going to do fund all the infrastructure they've built? They're far worse than the Isle of Man when it comes to "big government"; Saudi Arabia has an unemployment rate of about 13% and most of the rest are either imported cheap labour from East Asia or directly employed by the state. Sure, some of the Gulf states promote entrepreneurship but they're in a central trade hub of the world.

When the oil runs out they'll be ok because they have invested trillions in other countries property and businesses etc.

I agree there is no comparison to be made though.  Dubai is doing well largely because it has told the OECD and U.S to piss off in relation to FATCA and CRS.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, because the Middle East has such progressive governments with cultures that don't drag society down and keep most of their populations stuck in the Bronze Age. Once the oil stops being exported, what are they going to do fund all the infrastructure they've built? They're far worse than the Isle of Man when it comes to "big government"; Saudi Arabia has an unemployment rate of about 13% and most of the rest are either imported cheap labour from East Asia or directly employed by the state. Sure, some of the Gulf states promote entrepreneurship but they're in a central trade hub of the world.

Comes to something when the likes of Saudi have more open and progressive systems of government than the Isle of Man

Who actually benefits from our present system?

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, Rushen Spy said:

Clearly someone who hasn't spent any time in the UAE and picks up their worldly knowledge from Google.

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Clearly someone who hasn't spent any time in the UAE and picks up their worldly knowledge from Google.

He will have been there, he's been just about everywhere else...

7 hours ago, Lxxx said:

You said "the Middle East" which is very vague and includes a number of different countries.

You didn't specify the UAE whose population constitutes only 2.28% of the Middle East.

However, the UAE is not exempt from what I said. It is run by an oligarchic elite who live in a lavish bubble where they are free from many of the constraints of religion, while hypocritically forcing it on the rest of the population as a way to control them. I wonder how much time you spent with the poor in the UAE. You can't arrive at an accurate assessment of a country by spending time with only its privileged class.

17 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

If the term Middle East is very vague how can anyone then be so precise to say that the UAE population is 2.28% of the Middle East? 

Okay, it's not "vague", it's "overly broad". My 2.28% statistic is based on a popularly accepted definition of "Middle East"; but, in actuality, the Middle East could include a much wider land area than I factored, and the 2.28% could be overly generous. It could be a lot less, which would only further my point!!!

Archived