E-Gaming Canute Required

Derek Flint

Reading it from afar ( well Cromer!) ----

Realisation has started to sink in that the time that the Island could rely on the gambling sector to provide an invisible export is coming to an end.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SJR said:

As someone that was in at the start of the e gaming "revolution" and has the worthless shares to prove it that could tempt me.However the job advert says nothing of the sort.Perhaps if certain Police Officers worked until they were 67 and paid the 40% of earnings that would pay for an early pension I might agree.The essential fact is that this Island is paying the massive outgoings for people that were unemployable elsewhere in the dim and distant.

Some jobs burn people out physically and / or emotionally and from what little I have had to with the police, at least in this country,  working in the police SERVICE ('cos now those employed have to be so bloody politically correct) is one such sector. 

I retired at 54 after moving into program and then project management when I was just shy of 30  physically and emotionally completely buggered. 

Physically as a result of difficult working environments and assortment of tropical diseases (Dengue - ugh!) and emotionally as a result of very long hours and stress from managing very high value contracts with horrendous penalty clauses.  

But at least I didn't face the dangers the police face or dealing with the public, lying scum, druggies, piss artists, and very much worse. IMO the police have EARNED what is really a period of convalescence after years of doing a very difficult and at times an indescribable job ON OUR BEHALF.

Eh?  I had never heard of DIM - sorry, Digital Isle of Man - before.  But looking at their website, I see they have a sandbox:

https://www.digitalisleofman.com/blockchainoffice/blockchainofficeandsandbox/

Now that is so cool.  I always wanted a sandbox.  I see they are conversant with the latest corporate jargon, the latest being "space" as in "collaborative space".  When I first came across this usage, it was people talking about "the mobile phone space" which I though was some sort of entrance lobby where people went to use their mobile phones.  But then I found out it meant something more like "market" as in "the mobile phone market".  Anyway, I have to get back to the haemorrhoid space now. 

4 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Eh?  I had never heard of DIM - sorry, Digital Isle of Man - before.  But looking at their website, I see they have a sandbox:

Now that is so cool.  I always wanted a sandbox.  I see they are conversant with the latest corporate jargon, the latest being "space" as in "collaborative space".  When I first came across this usage, it was people talking about "the mobile phone space" which I though was some sort of entrance lobby where people went to use their mobile phones.  But then I found out it meant something more like "market" as in "the mobile phone market".  Anyway, I have to get back to the haemorrhoid space now. 

That is SO old fashioned.  Sounds not so much "Newspeak" as "Skellyspeak"  

37 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Sandbox is the new corporate wank-phrase for a test environment. Although I’m sure many in government think it's got something to do with buckets and spades. 

O ye, of little faith. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, ain't it?

As to e-gaming exodus: makes for some great headlines when the news reports stuff semi accurately, doesn't it? The truth is that new firms are still coming here and applying for licenses (mainly software licenses right now it seems) and the island is actually doing the right thing with Digital Isle of Man by trying to attract companies in the blockchain / crypto and related spaces. Instead of playing keyboard warrior, why don't you pop down to their office at the Hubb in Victoria house and ask them what they do? Then you could also see that the place is slowly filling up with new tech companies who are setting up shop here, bringing investment and employment with them. They're a very nice bunch who will be all too happy to answer your questions. At least they always were when we had our office there until recently.

The sandbox is there so you can try out your product/software/service/idea and show it to the regulator. Technology moves way faster than any regulation ever can, so it's important to have a way to try new things in a safe way that enables dialogue with regulators. "Hey, this is our idea, this is how it works, can I legally do that here / do I need a license / what do you think?" That kinda thing. Not all of it is gambling related, but where it is, the island is still a great jurisdiction with a very accommodating and understanding regulator that is willing to embrace new ideas and try to make them work, instead of being a pen-pushing hindrance. That's why firms are still coming here. Sure, there is a period of change and consolidation happening in the gambling sector, but to call it an "exodus" would be plain wrong. New firms using new technologies and developing new products are emerging (ask me how I know) to work on the next chapter of this and the tech industry in general. The island has realized that and is trying to benefit from it. They are doing the right thing.

I know moaning is a national pastime, but until now everyone we have had contact with has been nothing but great and supportive. We're way ahead of places like Malta in this respect. Sure, some departments seem short staffed and there's still some paperwork involved, but over-all this is an amazingly business friendly place. Will it ever be perfect in the way some people here expect it to be? Of course not. No government ever will. But for such a small place they're doing a good job and deserve some support for their efforts rather than having a helping of manx crab syndrome poured all over them yet again.

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

O ye, of little faith. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, ain't it?

As to e-gaming exodus: makes for some great headlines when the news reports stuff semi accurately, doesn't it? The truth is that new firms are still coming here and applying for licenses (mainly software licenses right now it seems) and the island is actually doing the right thing with Digital Isle of Man by trying to attract companies in the blockchain / crypto and related spaces. Instead of playing keyboard warrior, why don't you pop down to their office at the Hubb in Victoria house and ask them what they do? Then you could also see that the place is slowly filling up with new tech companies who are setting up shop here, bringing investment and employment with them. They're a very nice bunch who will be all too happy to answer your questions. At least they always were when we had our office there until recently.

The sandbox is there so you can try out your product/software/service/idea and show it to the regulator. Technology moves way faster than any regulation ever can, so it's important to have a way to try new things in a safe way that enables dialogue with regulators. "Hey, this is our idea, this is how it works, can I legally do that here / do I need a license / what do you think?" That kinda thing. Not all of it is gambling related, but where it is, the island is still a great jurisdiction with a very accommodating and understanding regulator that is willing to embrace new ideas and try to make them work, instead of being a pen-pushing hindrance. That's why firms are still coming here. Sure, there is a period of change and consolidation happening in the gambling sector, but to call it an "exodus" would be plain wrong. New firms using new technologies and developing new products are emerging (ask me how I know) to work on the next chapter of this and the tech industry in general. The island has realized that and is trying to benefit from it. They are doing the right thing.

I know moaning is a national pastime, but until now everyone we have had contact with has been nothing but great and supportive. We're way ahead of places like Malta in this respect. Sure, some departments seem short staffed and there's still some paperwork involved, but over-all this is an amazingly business friendly place. Will it ever be perfect in the way some people here expect it to be? Of course not. No government ever will. But for such a small place they're doing a good job and deserve some support for their efforts rather than having a helping of manx crab syndrome poured all over them yet again.

Which is great.

so why are they spaffing another seventy grand on a one yr contract with a job description to make long term relationships?

27 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Which is great.

so why are they spaffing another seventy grand on a one yr contract with a job description to make long term relationships?

you didn't get the job then ?   is it couch ?

51 minutes ago, WTF said:

you didn't get the job then ?   is it couch ?

To be honest, I wouldn’t be able to keep a straight face with anything PR based within government. At least in the cops we just dealt with straightforward facts, and if we were being economical with them it was purely for the benefit of an investigation. 

Archived