Prison - age limit?

wrighty

I heard on R4 today that the prison service in the UK is struggling to cope with an increasing number of aging prisoners with dementia. The oldest prisoner in the UK apparently is 104. Am I the only one to think this is mental?

Should there be an age limit to jail? If so, what?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wrighty said:

I heard on R4 today that the prison service in the UK is struggling to cope with an increasing number of aging prisoners with dementia. The oldest prisoner in the UK apparently is 104. Am I the only one to think this is mental?

I hope not. Having watched the ITV series, I'd be better looked after in prison when I retire...

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Imagine actually thinking serial killers and child molesters should walk free just because they reach a certain age.

Being an old person doesn't give you diplomatic immunity from justice, or from being a threat to society.

Do you know what “ diplomatic” means ?

15 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I hope not. Having watched the ITV series, I'd be better looked after in prison when I retire...

Agreed, we've a family member with dementia in a local care home, current fees are near £700 a week, paid for by his life savings and rapidly dwindling.

21 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Agreed, we've a family member with dementia in a local care home, current fees are near £700 a week, paid for by his life savings and rapidly dwindling.

You have it easy then.

Most homes are £1000 per week.

These care homes are nothing but a money making scam, exploiting the vulnerable for a profit.

Some of them try to give the impression of being non-profit charities, but when you look into their salaries, eg for the top management, you soon see it is no different to a business enterprise.

Archived