Prison - age limit?

wrighty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, wrighty said:

I heard on R4 today that the prison service in the UK is struggling to cope with an increasing number of aging prisoners with dementia. The oldest prisoner in the UK apparently is 104. Am I the only one to think this is mental?

Should there be an age limit to jail? If so, what?

I like the idea of secure residential homes as suggested on the news (or something). The 104 year old was a child molester, I don't know (nor do I want to know) the level, ages or his age at the time the crimes were committed but on face value, he needs to stay in prison until his sentence ends. 

Maybe the Isle of Man could set up an old age peoples prison and make money by shipping old duffers over (chucking them off the side of the boat on the way over and "Ooops, them drown in bath") 

31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your quip?  I thought you'd nicked it from the wonderful Leslie Nielsen in one of the Naked Gun films ;)

Well thank you for the point of order. I doubt that it was original even then as it's the sort of quip tends to echo down the generations. I was using the possessive loosely in the  context of this thread rather than claiming wider copyright.

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

I like the idea of secure residential homes as suggested on the news (or something). The 104 year old was a child molester, I don't know (nor do I want to know) the level, ages or his age at the time the crimes were committed but on face value, he needs to stay in prison until his sentence ends. 

Maybe the Isle of Man could set up an old age peoples prison and make money by shipping old duffers over (chucking them off the side of the boat on the way over and "Ooops, them drown in bath") 

That works for me with all ages of scumbag. 

I think I got the thread title wrong. Age isn’t really the issue, I was thinking more along the lines of prisoners who get dementia such that prison officers are acting more as carers than jailers.  Should they be put in another facility? The specific 104 year old seems like he should be in prison. 

5 hours ago, 2bees said:

I always think that chemical or even physical castration is the way to go with sexual offenders ( especially where kids are the victims. Give the perp the option. Got to be better that paying a fortune to keep them in gaol and surely a better life for the perp too ? I doubt some can help the way they act, but without the hormones, they should be harmless.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I always think that chemical or even physical castration is the way to go with sexual offenders ( especially where kids are the victims. Give the perp the option. Got to be better that paying a fortune to keep them in gaol and surely a better life for the perp too ? I doubt some can help the way they act, but without the hormones, they should be harmless.

That assumes that the driving force behind sex offences is hormonal. I'm not so sure thats the case. Maybe you should ask your mate? In the name of research.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I think I got the thread title wrong. Age isn’t really the issue, I was thinking more along the lines of prisoners who get dementia such that prison officers are acting more as carers than jailers.  Should they be put in another facility? The specific 104 year old seems like he should be in prison. 

It's a horrible thing to say, but soon (decades) we're really going to have to start looking hard at putting people down. Not the death penalty, but old sick confused people, on cost grounds.

My grandmother, in her 90's, had a serious stroke nearly 10 years ago, her soul has left her body, she hasn't got a clue who anyone is including herself and her memories no longer work, there is no point whatsoever in her being alive, in fact frankly living in a care home with others in a similar state she isn't, if she was a dog the vet would have put her to sleep. Strangely, physically she's in great nick, better than she was when she was living at home, can't really fault her care, its just pointless.

Maybe they could use prisoners for a trial run before they roll it out everywhere, probably just in time for me to hit 90.

Archived