Steam-Packet New Ferry survey

craggy_steve

On 6/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, Donald Trumps said:

ELECTRIC FERRY ON THE HORIZON

Stena Group has released another view of the ground-breaking ELEKTRA concept.

When ready, by 2030 she will likely be the world largest international 100% electric Ropax.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

The price of electricity here they’ll be charging it up in Liverpool! 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It only has a 50 mile range. It’ll never get to Liverpool

Based on track record it'll either involve a couple of big diesel generators on board or a long mains lead if Longworth is involved in any decisions. 

BTW - What DID happen to the Bench Busses in the end?

I'd have thought some boffins somewhere would have come up with a green method of harnessing wind power to propel ships in this day and age. What gave me the idea was reminiscing about unfurling my coat above my head as a lad. Certainly used to get me home a bit quicker from jurby school than conventional travel, the only downfall was that it used to make me a bit slower getting there in the morning. They are welcome to use my method though, no probs. 

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd have thought some boffins somewhere would have come up with a green method of harnessing wind power to propel ships in this day and age. What gave me the idea was reminiscing about unfurling my coat above my head as a lad. Certainly used to get me home a bit quicker from jurby school than conventional travel, the only downfall was that it used to make me a bit slower getting there in the morning. They are welcome to use my method though, no probs. 

Skysails – Plus – Top 10 Green Ship Designs

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

There have been a few experiments with cylindrical, solid sails and also automatic sails, no ropes and things. I believe there are a number of wind powered ships about without conventional sails.

German ship fights climate change with high-tech kite | Reuters.com

Archived