Steam-Packet New Ferry survey

craggy_steve

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

When Manx Line started up they had a roulette table and a cinema. It only had two films which they used day in day out for months/years. VHS was very much in its infancy, so to be able to watch a film at all, outside of a cinema or on TV,  but on demand, was a sort of big thing. The Italian Job and My Fair Lady I think they were. 

A remake of The Italian Job with Quayle, Harmer and Thomas in the starring roles as they make another plucky attempt to liberate even more taxpayers cash for some mindless scheme! 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

"Gregory's Girl". Incessantly, IIRC...

Maybe that was after 6/12 months of the Italian Job/My Fair Lady. To be fair, it really was a novelty to watch a film - any film - on a boat.

It were like being on a luxury cruise. Or something (the first time anyway).

The rest of the time was spent asking is it pronounced "Hay-sham" or "Hee-sham". Although that one is still going. Mind, so's the Italian Job, but in those days it was well old hat already and by then, like say Abba. had had it's day forever.

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

A remake of The Italian Job with Quayle, Harmer and Thomas in the starring roles as they make another plucky attempt to liberate even more taxpayers cash for some mindless scheme! 

Quayle in the Benny Hill role, Thomas as Michael Cain, and Harmer as Noel Coward

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Thought I'd just leave this here for discussion. It pertains to crossing bookings for TT 2020.

IMG-20191230-WA0000.jpg

As I have said many many times, the SPCo holds the key to the success or failure of every single enterprise which either the government or private sector enters into. It is vitally important and something which needs to strike the right balance between service and profitability.

Given you are travelling on two of the busiest crossings of the year I’d say that £275 return for bike and rider isn’t as bad as some are making out.

I booked my partner and his bike  on the cheapest sailings in November and it cost £120. 5 day return. It could have been £180 on the more popular sailings.

Remind me again what the ratio between lowest and highest fares is, on EZY or flymaybe?

Im not saying it’s cheap. I’m saying it’s what I’d expect, probably less.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

£ 300 for a bike plus 1?

its the sort of thing that would make you say, “yeah, we’ll go once then we can say we’ve been”

a recent 5 day break taking the car added £300 to the holiday. And the boat was virtually empty outbound 

I think that's just the bike and rider Derek, it doesn't mention passengers at all?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I think that's just the bike and rider Derek, it doesn't mention passengers at all?

It is. 3 riders, 3 bikes. TT homestays.

@John W, trouble is, is your perception shared by those wishing to travel to the Island?

I'm not saying you're wrong in your perception; but how many off-Island residents wishing to travel would share it?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It is. 3 riders, 3 bikes. TT homestays.

@John W, trouble is, is your perception shared by those wishing to travel to the Island?

I'm not saying you're wrong in your perception; but how many off-Island residents wishing to travel would share it?

I think that we are in the hands of perceptions, people make travel decisions based on these and costs. Everyone who comes to the TT perceives the SPCo to be expensive, this gets aired on social media frequently. People holidaying outside of these times need quick and easy information to make their destination decisions, we have no divine right to people visiting our island, they make their decision from information supplied on the viability and costs, two areas which we don't seem to have a grip on at all. 

5 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

To add some perspective, Motorcycle + rider Hull to Zeebrugge £310. That's a 13 hour trip including inside cabin. Portsmouth to Bilbao is over £400 . 24 hours,  also including basic cabin. These prices are for July. Considering the distances involved, it makes the Racket seem bloody expensive to me.

You have to take into account some of the savings of size/length of journey against the Steam Packet.

There are increased costs per passenger with 700 as opposed to 2000. Harbour and loading costs are fixed ( more or less ). The catering rip off opportunities with a 24 hour captivity rather than 2.5-3.75 hours.

Finally the routes you mention, with which I’m familiar, don’t have a peak demand like start and end of TT.

Archived