Steam-Packet New Ferry survey

craggy_steve

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

The difference is that we don't have the luxury of a huge influx of people on a regular basis anymore. I'm not particularly concerned solely with TT pricing, although it does put people off, the SPCo capacity is as much of an issue as pricing at that point. It's the year round, and particularly spring and summer, where the island is perceived to be an expensive and difficult place to visit. MotoGP or F1 doesn't depend on people flying or sailing in from the UK for its survival whereas the TT depends on people getting here by sea and air for its survival!.If the SPCo don't play ball, any events which are organised just wither away as has been seen with Rallying etc and falling TT numbers.  

Perhaps numbers are actually dwindling because less people are interested in these things?

I love Rallying but the reality is it is a very minor sport with a high barrier to entry I.e it's a bloody expensive sport to participate in.  And as cars have became more complex it reduces the potential new entrants constrained on budget.

Road Racing in general is a changing landscape.  I was brought up on the TT but I see no future in it.  Just a multiple crowd fatality away from being uninsurable.   And that is before you get to the fact that the bikes are now too fast for the course and abilities of many riders.  Deaths are so common it is now pretty much expected.  The marshals (who I have the utmost respect for) are simply dying off.  I was at Bray Hill and the youngest Marshall must have been late 40s and several were so old they couldn't wall properly.  No interest from young people.

It isn't the travel costs harming the TT or Rallying imho.  

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Then pray tell how do all these seasoned European travellers, so used to the expensive travel that you cite, find the SPCo's pricing and service so objectionable? To the extent that they write about it in their local press?

Do they really? Or is it the odd old pensioner with nothing better  to do?

They carry many thousands of people and you cite a handful of people? Probably the same people that give a trip advisor review on a hotel one star because a sausage was over done despite the rest of the stay being fantastic.

Everyone wants to pay less.  I do when  I fly to Europe on holiday.  But I know if I go at certain  times I pay more.    That's life.

Interesting comment on Service.  I've found the Steam Packet very helpful generally on service.  Flexible on changing arrangements.  Helping where possible.  Certainly more helpful than airlines.

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Perhaps numbers are actually dwindling because less people are interested in these things?

I love Rallying but the reality is it is a very minor sport with a high barrier to entry I.e it's a bloody expensive sport to participate in.  And as cars have became more complex it reduces the potential new entrants constrained on budget.

Road Racing in general is a changing landscape.  I was brought up on the TT but I see no future in it.  Just a multiple crowd fatality away from being uninsurable.   And that is before you get to the fact that the bikes are now too fast for the course and abilities of many riders.  Deaths are so common it is now pretty much expected.  The marshals (who I have the utmost respect for) are simply dying off.  I was at Bray Hill and the youngest Marshall must have been late 40s and several were so old they couldn't wall properly.  No interest from young people.

It isn't the travel costs harming the TT or Rallying imho.  

Yes agreed but the point I'm trying to make is confused by the TT, it doesn't matter what venture we embark upon, government or private sector or individuals, the success or failure is in the hands of the SPCo in terms of capacity and pricing. The UK has a ready market of its own without having to rely on public transport, Europe even more so. It's just plain expensive and difficult to get customers here for anything, which makes it difficult to grow anything from small beginnings. 

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Then pray tell how do all these seasoned European travellers, so used to the expensive travel that you cite, find the SPCo's pricing and service so objectionable? To the extent that they write about it in their local press?

Some great trip advisor rants to be fair 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190928-d10090575-Reviews-Steam_Packet_Company-Douglas_Isle_of_Man.html#REVIEWS

32 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The difference is that we don't have the luxury of a huge influx of people on a regular basis anymore. I'm not particularly concerned solely with TT pricing, although it does put people off, the SPCo capacity is as much of an issue as pricing at that point. It's the year round, and particularly spring and summer, where the island is perceived to be an expensive and difficult place to visit. MotoGP or F1 doesn't depend on people flying or sailing in from the UK for its survival whereas the TT depends on people getting here by sea and air for its survival!.If the SPCo don't play ball, any events which are organised just wither away as has been seen with Rallying etc and falling TT numbers.  

Falling TT numbers Max? I thought we were spoon fed every year that it was better and busier than the last?

I think not. In fact, I know not.

The Steamie has been, and will be unless it ups its act, more than a small part in the crippling of this Island's tourist economy. If not wider.

Maybe under Govt ownership this can be recognised and amended. One would hope so. But given the purchase terms and indeed what was actually purchased, it's doubtful.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Falling TT numbers Max? I thought we were spoofed every year that it was better and busier than the last?

Still waiting for FOM 2019 figures, unless I'm much mistaken?

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think not. In fact, I know not.

The Steamie has been, and will be unless it ups its act, more than a small part in the crippling of this Island's tourist economy. If not wider.

Maybe under Govt ownership this can be recognised and amended. One would hope so. But given the purchase terms and indeed what was actually purchased, it's doubtful.

So what would you do ?

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So what would you do ?

Given the corner we are now backed into with the purchase of SPCo and its recent history there are very few options with what's on the table. There at last seems to be a recognising that it is the Island's lifeline - the only surface lifeline. But I'm not sure that the implications of that are understood in respect of what's being offered.

If we want people here in significant, increasing, ticket buying numbers it has to be perceived as value for money with a high level of service. That's the first thing that needs to be addressed. Marketing and Service. A loss leader initially if it has to be. Make it affordable and an enjoyable experience. We have competition elsewhere that looks better to the consumer.

We have to get rid of these reviews citing poor service and the smell of puke and diesel. Pictures of trashed bikes that have dominoed on crossings because bits of greasy rope let go. God knows they've carried bikes for long enough to know how to do it. That's one thing that shouldn't be happening.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We have to get rid of these reviews citing poor service and the smell of puke and diesel. Pictures of trashed bikes that have dominoed on crossings because bits of greasy rope let go. God knows they've carried bikes for long enough to know how to do it. That's one thing that shouldn't be happening.

Take a look at the Trip Advisor reviews.  4 out of 5 is not a bad score so whilst there are always incidents and experiences that make the news overall they do not appear to be doing so badly in terms of the customer experience. 

• 5 months later...

Archived