Steam-Packet New Ferry survey

craggy_steve

I'm sure you would agree though , that the whole experience with Brittany Ferries is  infinitely more pleasurable than the Racket, especially the food & beverage side. Cup of decent coffee under 2 quid. Pint of wifebeater  about £3. Coq au vin about £7  in the upper deck bistro. I never felt I was having my pants pulled down. Unlike the inedible slop of the IOMSPC.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

I'm sure you would agree though , that the whole experience with Brittany Ferries is  infinitely more pleasurable than the Racket, especially the food & beverage side. Cup of decent coffee under 2 quid. Pint of wifebeater  about £3. Coq au vin about £7  in the upper deck bistro. I never felt I was having my pants pulled down. Unlike the inedible slop of the IOMSPC.

Depends which ship you sail on. The fact is, on the 4 Spain routes, over 4 vessels, you’ve got basic - no better than SPCo on the no frills economie service to the expensive on the Pont Aven, to the middling Cap Finistere. And you’re captive for between 23 and 36 hours depending on route and day of the week.

And of course they’re selling at VAT/duty free rates, due to length of journey and being in international waters on international services. Again a saving not available to the Steam Packet.

1 hour ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Ah, I didn't realise the tax implications. That explains a lot. I sailed on the Pont Aven.

The only one with a self service bistro and  restaurant. And quality isn’t good.

The food on Connemara, Kerry, Etretat or Baie de Seine, is diabolical. So is the seating/lounge areas.

I did wangle my way into the commercial drivers dining room on Cap Finistere once. I’d been chatting with a driver who invited me. Food was included in their ticket price and was same as served to crew.

On the Spain routes, from Portsmouth, Plymouth and Cork, they sell tobacco and alcohol at spanish domestic prices, or lower.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:13 PM, Max Power said:

As I have said many many times, the SPCo holds the key to the success or failure of every single enterprise which either the government or private sector enters into. It is vitally important and something which needs to strike the right balance between service and profitability.

What's wrong with that pricing? £300 for a passenger and a bike Return at the busiest time of the year for the company?  Seems reasonable.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:40 PM, Derek Flint said:

£ 300 for a bike plus 1?

its the sort of thing that would make you say, “yeah, we’ll go once then we can say we’ve been”

That's simply not true.  People who enjoy events pay to go and see them.  Price up a Moto GP or Formula 1 weekend and see where you end up pricing wise.    Many fans return repeatedly because in reality when you've done a few motorsport events you realise that 300 quid to get somewhere is not expensive. 

37 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What's wrong with that pricing? £300 for a passenger and a bike Return at the busiest time of the year for the company?  Seems reasonable.

I'll relay that to my regular TT and MGP homestays. Who are mostly German and, to a man, detest the Steam Packet with a vengeance on grounds of pricing and service. 

Oddly enough, they do not display the same animosity towards their North Sea crossing (to Hull) carriers.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I'll relay that to my regular TT and MGP homestays. Who are mostly German and, to a man, detest the Steam Packet with a vengeance on grounds of pricing and service. 

Oddly enough, they do not display the same animosity towards their North Sea crossing (to Hull) carriers.

I suspect though that if you have a downer on everything like on here conveyed to them you'll be shaping their thinking to placate you.

John Wright speaks a lot of sense on the subject as a regular traveller across a number of companies.  

The IOMSPC isn't any different to any travel business.  To expect the boat to be "cheap" in TT week is delusional.  And to compare it to North Sea Carriers is meaningless really.

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I suspect though that if you have a downer on everything like on here conveyed to them you'll be shaping their thinking to placate you.

John Wright speaks a lot of sense on the subject as a regular traveller across a number of companies.  

The IOMSPC isn't any different to any travel business.  To expect the boat to be "cheap" in TT week is delusional.  And to compare it to North Sea Carriers is meaningless really.

To compare it is meaningless unless you're looking at it from a price/distance basis and judging on the price and quality of service.

Something IoMSPC does (and has refined for years) is get people's backs up. It can't be disputed.

It has the reputation of being expensive and giving a low standard of service. Courtesy of the TT, that reputation has been exported, certainly across Europe and possibly further.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

To compare it is meaningless unless you're looking at it from a price/distance basis and judging on the price and quality of service.

Something IoMSPC does (and has refined for years) is get people's backs up. It can't be disputed.

It has the reputation of being expensive and giving a low standard of service. Courtesy of the TT, that reputation has been exported, certainly across Europe and possibly further.

Yes but the reputation is one perpetuated by people that listen to others who don't really understand.

Any travel business has expensive periods.  Hotels do.  In fact most businesses do.  Clothes are dearer when released.  Then cheaper in out of season sales.  Supply.  Demand.  

I use the boat and planes.  Sometimes I've looked at the boat and thought it was too expensive so I'll fly.  Other times I've obtained decent value deals on the boat.

You can't use journey lengths as a barometer.  For example it isn't 3 times cheaper to operate a ferry service travelling one third the distance is it?  Or are you saying it is?

15 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Government has bought it to milk it for all its worth though. The fares won’t be going down. This it the golden goose whose dividends are going to keep those pensions being paid. 

That can't be true really can it?

It wasn't picked up for free.  So we are in for about £120m straight away.   So how will profits be funding pensions when in reality the initial investment would be repaid?

Also there is the small matter of new boats to be purchased.   So again I dont see how it pays any pensions because itll be servicing debts for over 100m quid worth of ferries.

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes but the reputation is one perpetuated by people that listen to others who don't really understand.

Any travel business has expensive periods.  Hotels do.  In fact most businesses do.  Clothes are dearer when released.  Then cheaper in out of season sales.  Supply.  Demand.  

I use the boat and planes.  Sometimes I've looked at the boat and thought it was too expensive so I'll fly.  Other times I've obtained decent value deals on the boat.

You can't use journey lengths as a barometer.  For example it isn't 3 times cheaper to operate a ferry service travelling one third the distance is it?  Or are you saying it is?

Well, it will only use a 1/3 as much fuel!

7 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm saying that SOMETHING the Steamie does or exhibits is not doing them any favours. And hasn't been doing so for a long, international time.

As for the flying option, maybe if you've ridden halfway across Europe, crossed the North Sea and then ridden the M62, flying isn't really an option if you're bringing your bike with you.

"Sometimes" you've obtained good value meals on the boat. But why not all the time?

Until we address this, "All's well, it's the Steam Packet and it's as good as it can get" outlook, we're continuing to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Just now, finlo said:

Well, it will only use a 1/3 as much fuel!

Not necessarily true.  

But that aside running any business will have a number of fixed costs.  Those fixed costs reduce proportionately as a business scales up.

Port fees, taxation (or perhaps lack of it), subsidies all influence things.   It's very short sighted and naive to argue a case around distances.

JW really has fantastic first hand experience of ferry travel yet people seem intent on ignoring the facts he posts.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm saying that SOMETHING the Steamie does or exhibits is not doing them any favours. And hasn't been doing so for a long, international time.

As for the flying option, maybe if you've ridden halfway across Europe, crossed the North Sea and then ridden the M62, flying isn't really an option if you're bringing your bike with you.

Until we address this, "All's well, it's the Steam Packet and it's as good as it can get" outlook, we're continuing to shoot ourselves in the foot.

On the whole the Steam Packet is a really well run business.

Have you travelled abroad to motor sport events?  I have quite few times.  Travel and hotel for 4 day trip has been about a grand every time.  Before ticket.  Which was expensive too.  I'm a fan and I go because I enjoy it. I'm also not surprised when I rock up to Silverstone or somewhere abroad and find the hotels are expensive.

Archived