Disposable Personal Incomes Crash Under Quayle Administration

Donald Trumps

Average Manx household has less than £50 to spare each week.

That's according to the results of the Isle of Man Government's Household Income and Expenditure Survey.

It's a drop of more than £100 compared to the last study, published in 2013.

This at a time when Treasury plans allocating millions and millions of public revenue to topping up CS & PS pensions

773989-1.JPG

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/average-household-has-just-50-spare-each-week/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not rocket science is it? How do the clowns need a survey to conclude this when a 5 minute walk down a deserted Strand St or any shopping area or a quick skeet in empty pubs can tell you that there's no money about? 

Perhaps they can also now produce a multi-coloured pie chart showing how much people are parting with in Govt taxes and charges in the name of keeping our social experiment of a bloated PS going now the VAT's been reduced?

48 minutes ago, The Orgozoid said:

I think it shows how poor the data collection has been around the household spending survey and how few people (only 5.7% of those contacted) volunteered to participate in the first place. As they were paying people to participate perhaps only the people who really needed the £50 or whatever it was participated with the predictable output that they have shown that they have little surplus income? The worrying thing to me is that someone told me that this data will be used by HMRC to predict out next vat kickback. 

Actually it may be the other way round - that it includes more wealthy people, and maybe those with the leisure to fill in the stuff.   One way to see this is by looking at the tenure statistics that they supply in the full report: 

Owned outright 45.5%  (33.7%)

Buying with a mortgage 33.%  (32.2%)

Rented from Local authority/Central government 8.1%   (16.4%)

Rented privately 12.4%  (16.8%)

Other 0.9%  (0.9%)

But the equivalent figures from the 2011 Census (shown in bold) are rather different, showing there are too many people in this sample who own their own home and to few who are renting.  This may explain why housing costs are lower that you would expect and mean that any figures derived from this survey are inaccurate.

And while this survey isn't used to directly influence VAT, it is used to affect how inflation is worked out among other practical uses.

Owning your property when you are old is a mixed blessing. Sure you do not have to find rent but if any repairs need doing getting tradesmen to do them costs fortunes. Rates go up every year and food seems to be going up every couple of weeks.   I wish I had £50 disposable income after paying my bills.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Average Manx household has less than £50 to spare each week.

That's according to the results of the Isle of Man Government's Household Income and Expenditure Survey.

It's a drop of more than £100 compared to the last study, published in 2013.

This at a time when Treasury plans allocating millions and millions of public revenue to topping up CS & PS pensions

Based on the way you target Mr Quayle in your title, you seem to believe personal household income and disposable income are under the control of the Chief Minister.

It isn't. It's determined by global economic trends that are beyond the powers or influence of the Isle of Man Government.

There's also a great amount that is influenced and is or was the responsibility of IoM Govt.

We are paying the price in many instances for lack of judgement and diligence by our elected in recent years. Who have departed regardless with handsome superannuation in many cases.

46 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Booze and fags only 2% - yeah, right!

Well we're not all medical professionals y'know. :P

Actually if you look at the results of the various household surveys over the years, one of the most interesting things about it is the decline in "Alcoholic beverages and tobacco"  from 10% in 1976-7 to 2% in 2018-9.  We're obviously only a fifth as drunk and smelly as we were.

If we take the 50 quid as an average and reasonably true, tho it seems rather low to me, then with todays sociolagical attitude, it is most likely to be spent when it is realised

It has amazed me that some people that I know have 'struggled' on a joint income of 80k plus, sure they have not gone without holidays and luxury goods,''" a new kitchen for ONLY 15k!!! Yea please, grab it! ". They may have a Range Rover and an Audi between them and a ridiculously high mortgage to 'Keep up with Joneses' but how can they still be out of money at the end of the month? Profligacy?

80k plus in the 2000's, God knows what now?

.......and if they tot their monthly outgoings up and find that they have a surplus, well, let's  spend that!!!

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Based on the way you target Mr Quayle in your title, you seem to believe personal household income and disposable income are under the control of the Chief Minister.

It isn't. It's determined by global economic trends that are beyond the powers or influence of the Isle of Man Government.

I would disagree. Howard Quayle has a whole lot of clout irrespective of his intelligence or lack thereof. His personality is stamped all over our lives.

If he feels the low paid should have the screws put on them, then he can drive policy in that direction and instruct the civil servants likewise.

For example, Quayle is a smug toilet-taxer. He was the original apologist along with David Quirk (who he?) to go on Manx Radio and defend it. It was a straightforward way to make the low-paid even more low-paid and that is something that seems to drive oor Howard. (Quirky was just bimbling along in there because he was told to). As fat cats go, I feel Howard is every bit in the mold. 

And he's our Head Honcho, folks.

Archived