Apparently we need more accountants

The Orgozoid

1 hour ago, The Orgozoid said:

Notwithstanding that we probably do why haven’t we been encouraging more students to do accountancy at the UCM or offering incentives to locals to re train in accounting rather than doing what we always do which is throw a shit load of money at people who don’t even live here to come here and get a job?

Because the people in power on the island are racist "ex-pats" from the UK who want to rid the island of its indigenous population.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There's been a shit load of these stories about living on/returning to the island lately. Wonder how much IOM newspapers are getting paid for these and whether each story should be classed as 'advertisement feature'?

I would imagine it's quite a lot as they are all tagged "Destination Isle of Man" and there's even a separate category for them.  Presumably being gullible enough not to realise that this is paid-for tosh would be the main qualification for actually wanting to move to the Island.  But actually most people in their target market will only be too painfully aware of this sort of 'advertorial' as the London papers are perpetually clogged up with it.

A better question is "Why are they in the Isle of Man papers?".  Most of their readers are already here.  Some of the latest batch may be to try to attract back or retain those who might be back for Christmas etc, but they know what the place is like as well.  In reality this sort of guff is actually not aimed at publicising the Isle of Man but at publicising the Department of Enterprise.  "Look at all the work we are doing trying to bring people to the Island!" they are saying. 

This isn't new, but the less effective they are at what they are paid to do, the more time and money they seem to spend on self-publicity.

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Eh? So a load of private companies are creating jobs through no necessity just to cost themselves money and pay tax and ni?

It's why they want them from elsewhere as opposed to training up locals to do these jobs.

27 minutes ago, The Orgozoid said:

You seem to be doing a good job of arguing with posters just for the hell of it. As I’ve said above I’m fully conversant with what is required to qualify as either a certified or chartered accountant and I don’t see why we shouldn’t be assisting locals if the jobs are in such demand before we subsidize people to come here. 

I'm not arguing for the hell of it.

If you understand the qualifications and sort of standard required then you surely realise why numbers are st a premium here and it means off island folk are required?

It isn't just a case of throwing a few quid at locals.

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm not arguing for the hell of it.

If you understand the qualifications and sort of standard required then you surely realise why numbers are st a premium here and it means off island folk are required?

It isn't just a case of throwing a few quid at locals.

I have said several times I’m fully conversant with what is required. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Eh? So a load of private companies are creating jobs through no necessity just to cost themselves money and pay tax and ni?

Which neatly highlights the hole in the Government's "increase the population" equation. No jobs or work as yet created for these people to flock to. Be they accountants or breeders of purple people-eaters. They're just expected to come here and private firms set up to employ them.

What seems to be missing is the realisation that in the private sector there has to be enough work to justify employing people so that they can make money for the employer concerned. It seems to be being overseen by the Public Sector mindset that we can create positions and pay people for doing very little if necessary. Because it's the taxpayers who are paying for it so the money doesn't matter.

Albeit that we are busy building the houses for them all to live in.

38 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

We actually need less but more efficient and realistically priced accountants.

It would be interesting to understand which actual industries need accountants. It seems to me that most of the e-gaming companies are shifting their finance functions to Malta where you can apparently employ an accountant a hell of a lot cheaper than you can here so even if they come there might not be too much longevity in their posts. 

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It would be interesting to understand which actual industries need accountants. It seems to me that most of the e-gaming companies are shifting their finance functions to Malta where you can apparently employ an accountant a hell of a lot cheaper than you can here so even if they come there might not be too much longevity in their posts. 

Yeh, Malta is ideally located near South East Europe with high unemployment and economies with massive inflation, making the labour market there a prime target for exploitation.

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I would imagine it's quite a lot as they are all tagged "Destination Isle of Man" and there's even a separate category for them.  Presumably being gullible enough not to realise that this is paid-for tosh would be the main qualification for actually wanting to move to the Island.  But actually most people in their target market will only be too painfully aware of this sort of 'advertorial' as the London papers are perpetually clogged up with it.

A better question is "Why are they in the Isle of Man papers?".  Most of their readers are already here.  Some of the latest batch may be to try to attract back or retain those who might be back for Christmas etc, but they know what the place is like as well.  In reality this sort of guff is actually not aimed at publicising the Isle of Man but at publicising the Department of Enterprise.  "Look at all the work we are doing trying to bring people to the Island!" they are saying. 

This isn't new, but the less effective they are at what they are paid to do, the more time and money they seem to spend on self-publicity.

Can't help but think the taxpayers money concerned would be better placed in the pockets of those  living with in work poverty rather than the coffers of whover owns IOMNewspapers nowadays

29 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's why they want them from elsewhere as opposed to training up locals to do these jobs.

Nothing is stopping local people from skilling themselves up. Especially if they want to earn more money.

It's exactly the same as in the UK - far too many people seem to see their skills as something which should happen to them. Instead of them taking the initiative.

ETA: accountants are part of the world of business which brings money into the IOM.

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Nothing is stopping local people from skilling themselves up.

Nothing except wage stagnation and lack of disposable income to save to pay for the courses. Do you have any clue how expensive accountancy training is? It's not just one course; it's loads of individual units, all costing an arm and a leg. Gone are the days when companies would pay -- it's easier for them to just employ someone already trained up from across.

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

It's not just one course; it's loads of individual units, all costing an arm and a leg. Gone are the days when companies would pay -- it's easier for them to just employ someone already trained up from across.

That’s exactly why I think if the skills are in such demand we should be helping local people to skill up not just subsidizing people to move here. 

Archived