Apparently we need more accountants

The Orgozoid

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s a bad example. A lot of that was because he was a total cunt. 

I was only using his presence at the time as an example of HNWI. Yes, agreed he wasn’t liked by all, but he did create some jobs, either through his Callows Yard or other businesses. Incidentally, I believe he was an accountant by profession. 

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where are the Barrowman/Mones these days? They waxed lyrical about the Island in their centre spreads when they moved here.

The pile is still up for sale isn't it?

Scotland?

Mayfair, London?

Outer Space?

I was chastised of over a choice of example used. I did forget about this one, until I was reminded. I don’t believe they were here long, but dependant to the views and opinions you hear, I don’t think there will be a welcoming back party. 

As I common with a lot of these HNWIs there is reoccurring theme, many people and skilled craftsman/tradespeople provided services for some HNWIs, and sadly those craftspeople/tradespeople had to jump through hoops in order to get paid. It’s not just one HNWI but a few HNWI.

I’m  sure that some trades/craft persons have probably not be paid, or are awaiting payment, have employed Athol Streets finest or have simply given up.

Perhaps it would be nice if the Starship Enterprise and Skellys Mob, could merely acknowledge the rumours of non payment etc, before spouting the needs of the island, and to some extent prostituting the island, without its residents and businesses who provide goods and services getting paid! It’s common knowledge so for Skellys Mob to pretend otherwise is totally wrong, as I’m sure Starship Enterprise would be aware, or would like to it cover up.

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where are the Barrowman/Mones these days? They waxed lyrical about the Island in their centre spreads when they moved here.

The pile is still up for sale isn't it?

Barrowman has and does employ a significant number of people on the Isle of Man.  He's been here a long time.  Circumstances change.  He's met someone who doesn't come from here.  He didn't move here with Mone.  And I doubt he ever appeared in  a glossy daily mail spread about his home 10 or 15 years ago.

Circumstances change.  If you were looking to chip away at the HNWI policy then citing Barrowman would be stupid.

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I was only using his presence at the time as an example of HNWI. Yes, agreed he wasn’t liked by all, but he did create some jobs, either through his Callows Yard or other businesses. Incidentally, I believe he was an accountant by profession. 

Scotland?

Mayfair, London?

Outer Space?

I was chastised of over a choice of example used. I did forget about this one, until I was reminded. I don’t believe they were here long, but dependant to the views and opinions you hear, I don’t think there will be a welcoming back party. 

As I common with a lot of these HNWIs there is reoccurring theme, many people and skilled craftsman/tradespeople provided services for some HNWIs, and sadly those craftspeople/tradespeople had to jump through hoops in order to get paid. It’s not just one HNWI but a few HNWI.

I’m  sure that some trades/craft persons have probably not be paid, or are awaiting payment, have employed Athol Streets finest or have simply given up.

Perhaps it would be nice if the Starship Enterprise and Skellys Mob, could merely acknowledge the rumours of non payment etc, before spouting the needs of the island, and to some extent prostituting the island, without its residents and businesses who provide goods and services getting paid! It’s common knowledge so for Skellys Mob to pretend otherwise is totally wrong, as I’m sure Starship Enterprise would be aware, or would like to it cover up.

Lol.

You think government policy for attracting people should include publicising the personal arrangements of companies and people here who might or might not engage with other HNWI people who might or might not have been paid?

Perhaps you can give us a few examples of these HNWIs who not paying for things?

Plenty of people dispute what they are being charged.  There are plenty of people on the island who will blatantly take the piss and rip people off if they have a few quid and think they can get away with it.

A friend of mine is wealthy.  Some of the chancers he has told me about over the years illustrate the issues of engaging people who sniff out easy money.

9 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's strange.  It's such a piss easy thing to qualify for.  We just need to chuck a few quid at locals who all harbour deep ambitions to be accountants but cant afford it.

Did an accountant run off with your wife/girlfriend? You seem to be very bitter towards them...

20 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's an example of an allegation over VAT.  Still to be determined?

Which isn't what the original poster was alluding to.

It's an example of a HNWI allegedly not paying for things, maybe learn to read between the lines?

12 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's strange.  It's such a piss easy thing to qualify for.  We just need to chuck a few quid at locals who all harbour deep ambitions to be accountants but cant afford it.

I don’t see anyone saying it’s piss easy in this thread. Expensive and time consuming to complete yes which is why maybe government should be subsidizing locals who want the chance to start a career in this space. I also find it odd that the answer to everything the DfE ever does is to lob another load of our money at people who don’t live here rather than at locals to progress and develop. It’s only this year that student support has gone up after years and years of grants being cut which has probably stoped many local students from getting a degree. 

28 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I don’t see anyone saying it’s piss easy in this thread. Expensive and time consuming to complete yes which is why maybe government should be subsidizing locals who want the chance to start a career in this space. I also find it odd that the answer to everything the DfE ever does is to lob another load of our money at people who don’t live here rather than at locals to progress and develop. It’s only this year that student support has gone up after years and years of grants being cut which has probably stoped many local students from getting a degree. 

Well said

DfE was originally intended to be a genuine development agency

There is also the fact that realistically it takes you at least 3 years to get a full ACA/ACCA qualification. 

So if you want a fully qualified accountant now (or at any other time in the next 3 years) you're going to have to recruit from off island. 

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

There is also the fact that realistically it takes you at least 3 years to get a full ACA/ACCA qualification. 

So if you want a fully qualified accountant now (or at any other time in the next 3 years) you're going to have to recruit from off island. 

If the DfE or anyone else had any strategic vision, or actually spoke to people, then the skills shortage would be identified before it becomes an issue allowing money to be deployed to skill people up well in advance. That’s how businesses work. 

Archived