Apparently we need more accountants

The Orgozoid

4 minutes ago, MrPB said:

If the DfE or anyone else had any strategic vision, or actually spoke to people, then the skills shortage would be identified before it becomes an issue allowing money to be deployed to skill people up well in advance. That’s how businesses work. 

That's assuming there are enough intelligent people capable of being accountants.  That's before you take that small segment of people and further reduce by the number who actually WANT to become accountants.

Blaming DfE is comical in this instance.  It's just a weak excuse to bash them when they are actually trying to solve the problem.

Accounting is a niche industry.  Like Law.  Or being a Doctor.   You simply dont get huge volumes of people wanting and more importantly being intelligent enough to do it.  Those that are and do want to do it get off their ass and find a way usually.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's assuming there are enough intelligent people capable of being accountants.  That's before you take that small segment of people and further reduce by the number who actually WANT to become accountants.

Blaming DfE is comical in this instance.  It's just a weak excuse to bash them when they are actually trying to solve the problem.

Accounting is a niche industry.  Like Law.  Or being a Doctor.   You simply dont get huge volumes of people wanting and more importantly being intelligent enough to do it.  Those that are and do want to do it get off their ass and find a way usually.

https://www.accountancydaily.co/number-accountants-hits-record-530000

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Thanks for making my point for me. Small number and niche.

It’s quite a large number. You don’t seem to be much of a facts person so I thought it might be simpler to demonstrate with facts as there are 164,000 people studying to be accountants in the UK currently and membership across the board is at an all time high. It would seem to be relatively easy for us to apply some money to grow local talent. 

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

DfE seem to think that there's lots of them who can be attracted to move to the Island though?

5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It’s quite a large number. You don’t seem to be much of a facts person so I thought it might be simpler to demonstrate with facts as there are 164,000 people studying to be accountants in the UK currently and membership across the board is at an all time high. It would seem to be relatively easy for us to apply some money to grow local talent. 

I'm fine with facts.  You appear to be struggling though.  You quoted a small world wide number too.  

Given you like your numbers or facts - there appears to be about 310000 accountants in the uk.  And a working population of around 28m.    So just over 1% are accountants.

How isn't that niche?

42 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yeah, exactly.

I'd say that 90% of locals that have the desire/skills/intelligence to become an Accountant already are. 

54 minutes ago, MrPB said:

If the DfE or anyone else had any strategic vision, or actually spoke to people, then the skills shortage would be identified before it becomes an issue allowing money to be deployed to skill people up well in advance. That’s how businesses work. 

Their crystal ball is probably broken.  Also they are not a business, they are a government department.  Although if they start behaving like a business they then get berated = no win scenario.

I'd say that there has been a significant increase in the requirement for Accountants due to evolving complications in business and tax that were probably not forseeable 3+ years in advance. 

It's not just Accountants though, there is a genuine skills shortage on the Island for most financial and technological businesses.  It's the lack of suitably skilled and qualified staff that is actually the limiting factor for companies expanding massively over here and why many companies move away from here. 

There are only what, 100 unemployed over here.  They're not going to fill the vacancies.  The only option is to bring people over. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Their crystal ball is probably broken.  Also they are not a business, they are a government department.  Although if they start behaving like a business they then get berated = no win scenario.

I'd say that there has been a significant increase in the requirement for Accountants due to evolving complications in business and tax that were probably not forseeable 3+ years in advance. 

It's not just Accountants though, there is a genuine skills shortage on the Island for most financial and technological businesses.  It's the lack of suitably skilled and qualified staff that is actually the limiting factor for companies expanding massively over here and why many companies move away from here. 

There are only what, 100 unemployed over here.  They're not going to fill the vacancies.  The only option is to bring people over. 

Only 100 unemployed?  i don't think so!

26 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Isn't it?

What would you be doing differently? Perhaps they could get you in?

There seems little point in debating with anyone who just seems to be looking for an argument all the time. The lack of success of that department is all around. Now we are bribing accountants to come here. It’s vaguely reminiscent of the press gangs. You’d hate to be an accountant who fell asleep at a DfE event. You might end up drugged and force ably removed to the IOM to help contribute to their pensions. 

Archived